Hallie Barrie isn't eating!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hallie Barrie usually is the first goat at the food...and the last goat at the food! But when I fed this evening she didn't come to the hay, and surprised the heck out of me that she didn't come running to the grain! Why can't I ever find a thermometer when I need one?! So, I'm going out to stuff some soda balls down her. Should I give her some Ivermectin? She was de-wormed in June.

She lost some weight after she kidded. So, I increased her hay and grain to try to get her in better condition. All the others are "fat and sassy" and while Hallie has gained some weight back, and had a good appetite, she still has looked thin.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we need a temp on her ...if she has a fever it could be pneumonia ...with the weird weather changes from hot in day........ cool at night ,it could be that,,but if no temp she may have a tummy ache from higher graining.......... she was dewormed 3 months ago,,but how is her gums/eye color?

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I wouldn't worm her unless you know she needs it. Check her eyelids.

How many kids is she feeding or how much milk is she giving and when did she freshen.

If you can't find the goats thermometer, then use the humans one then get another one for the humans.
    crocee

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    LOL, I would never hestitate to use my "human" thermometer on an animal! I found it, temp is 102.9. I think that's in the normal range? I stuffed some soda balls down her, and a couple of tums. She's not real happy with me right now. Rumen appears to be working, I heard rumbleing. No discharge from eyes or nose.

She's a Cashmere goat, so I don't milk her. She had twins at the end of March, doe/buck (buck was doa :sigh: ). She had the doeling on her for about 4 months, I thought she'd wean her, but when she didn't I seperated them. So, she's been dry 2-3 months I guess. Usually eats like a horse! I'll check her again later. Should I give her some nutri-drench?

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    A little nutri-drench wouldn't hurt her. I was think a calcium imbalance but since the kids have been off her for several months, I wouldn't think it was that. Do you have any B-Complex, Fortified is better but not everyone has that. I would give her a 4 to 6cc dose, 2 to 3 cc fortified to help with her appitite. She will pee out what she doesn't need.
    DC

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks everybody! Hallie seems to be fine this morning. She's eating and looks much more comfortable today! :leap:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :leap: Just knew you had it under control....glad she is feeling better :leap: