Hallie is home - Updated 1/14

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    We finally, through troubles and frustrations, managed to get there and get Hallie today.

I can't release a lot of details due to my discussion with the ASPCA but I can say that the workers there tried VERY HARD to make sure we didn't see any of the other animals.

However, it appears that a LOT of the goats, and possibly the pigs, are gone now. The pen was eaten to the ground, and while there was hay out, it looked very old and poor quality and looked like it's been sitting there a long while.

Hallie is not emaciated, but is underweight. She also has very long hooves and is very pale, no doubt carrying a huge parasite overload. I wanted to drop a fecal off, but the poor dear did NOT defecate once in the very long car ride.

Which I found odd, since mine feel the need to poo every five minutes.

Hallie was supposed to be "in milk" and was supposed to have kidded in December. This is certainly not true. She may have kidded in the past year, but NOT as early as last month. Impossible.

She's settled in now (my camera decided to die, go figure) with food and water and a comfy place. We will be starting a deworm regimen and getting a bolus into her, as well as a nice hoof trim.

She's safe now, and we'll see what the future brings both for her, and the breeder.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Hallie is home

Sounds like the poor dear is in the right place now :hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

:hug: she is safe and sound

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thank you everyone. The poor girl is stuffing her gut with nice FRESH hay now, and is delighted. She ran to me when she saw me, instead of away, but didn't come close enough to take a marshmallow.

Hope and Rudy are eyeballing her, as if thinking, "Why is her head naked?"

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

what does that mean? :whatgoat:

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

OH sorry lol.

My does have horns, but Hallie is disbudded, so she has a "naked" head.

:laugh:

8. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas

Finally, it seemed to take forever to get Hallie out of there. If it was not one thing it was another blocking our way. I am so happy that she is safe and in a good home now.

Epona, Hallie's papers are suppose to be mailed to me on Friday, as soon as I receive them I will let you know.

Here is a photo of Hallie just before I sold her. This was taken around May or June of last year.

[​IMG]

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh wow a beautiful chamoisee :lovey:

congrats on a good outcome on this for Hallie :clap:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

shes beautiful. you probably cant post an updated photo right?

naked head! lol

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Congratulations on your hard work and determination to get her out of there. :leap:

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

You can't really tell how thin she is until you put your hands on her, poor dear, due to her thick coat.

I have been told that the ASPCA gave the breeder a warning. No idea if they actually did or if they just said that to get me off their backs, but it would make sense as to why SO many of the goats have disapeared since then.

Another breeder friend of mine and I are trying to dig to the bottom of the other lies, namely, when did Hallie REALLY kid (she claims she kidded in December, which she certainly did not.), what happened to the kids, WHY did this breeder send mistyblue a picture of Hallie's kid" stolen from a website and then my other friend a completely different (stolen) picture.

As well as trying desperately to find out what happened to Delanie. :sigh:

Hallie is doing great. Today we are going to bolus her and hubby will take a fecal to the vet on his way to work, so I know how to tackle her parasites instead of just dosing her with everything I have.

She runs around in terror whenever I go out. When we picked her up, the worker was really man-handling her and the whole ride home she was in absolute fright.

I'd never brought home a goat, not even the untouched wild ones, that were SO terrified. I thought she would have a heart attack when I touched her.

I am just ignoring her for now, to show her I mean no harm. Going to be fun to catch her for her needs, but otherwise, I won't be bothering her at all.

Poor dear wouldn't even take a marshmallow when I tossed it to her.

:(

Will keep you all updated.

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Re: Hallie is home - Updated

Poor Hallie, this is why it is so hard for me to sale any of my animals. I know that I need to but I am always scared that they will not be treated right.

Epona, Hallie and Delainie both were as wild as they could be but they were never scared. I wonder what happened to them in the 5 months they were there?

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

I'm sure she'll settle down and realize how wonderful you are in no time.. especially once she sees that the rest of your goaties ADORE you

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She certainly watched when my brats swarm me looking for a handout.

misty - you had told me she was wild, and that's what I expected. I certainly didn't expect terror from her, and it makes me very sad. Who knows what was done to her to give her such a fear.

I have all the time in the world; Hallie is not going anywhere. She may one day bless me and misty with kids, but she may not. It doesn't matter. Hubby and I are giving her a forever home.

And I personally think, even the way she looks now, she is gorgeous. A real beautiful doe.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Aww....congrats....... :greengrin: :thumbup:

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I do have to admit I am concerned Hallie might be pregnant. She has a handful of udder. Now, it just might be her still drying up from having kids this year, but I don't know.

I couldn't get a pooch picture because when we caught her and put her on the stand, she sucked everything up. I will try to eyeball it myself later.

I didn't feel any babies, but she could be early on or hiding them I suppose. I would prefer she didn't be pregnant, since this breeder had all manner of males running around in the pasture as far as we know. And she certainly needs to be in better shape before carrying kids.

And I am borrowing the most lovely buck at the end of this year and I'd prefer if she wanted to kid again, she did so with another registered buck who compliments her nicely, you know?

Anyways, she got some dewormer and a hoof trim. We're waiting on the copper, as I don't have a pill to put it in or a bolus gun, my girls took it in a marshmallow, which I don't think is going to work this time.

Maybe if I put it in some peanut butter, or something, and shoot it into the back of the mouth like the dewormer? I don't know.

18. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

If she would take banana or bred that would work as well. They don't chew it much, like the marshmallows. Just an idea :idea:

You're doing a great thing! She's in good hands :) :hug:

19. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas

I am not sure what she would take, I tried Cheerios and raisins with her and never got anywhere at all.

If you need anything let me know. Also, the latest she would have kidded if bred by my buck would have been December 20th, the earliest would have been the end of August.

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I think its going to have to be something I can get down her throat, as she is not going to take anything willingly from me.

:(