Halloween pumpkin goat treats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pelicanacresMN, Oct 22, 2010.

1. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

A few Halloween goat treats:
    Well, we went to a big pumpkin patch/petting zoo last weekend & noticed their goats were going crazy for cracked pumpkins. We carved our pumpkin the other night & I brought the pumpkin "brains" to the goats--they refused it. Maybe they would like the meatier part of the pumpkin better.
    We also baked all of the seeds & my husband put sea salt on them. I brought a handful out for the goats & they went crazy for them.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Goats LOVE pumpkins. I have to go get some still. Mine love the meatier part better but they do eat it all. Be careful not to let them eat to much.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh yeah!! My goats LOVE punkin.....guts included.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so going to try giving my boys some and hope they like it !

5. I have heard that it's also a natural wormer??? Don't know though, just what I heard!

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I haven't heard that about pumpkins..very cool if it is. I have however heard that pine needles are a natural wormer though.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine love pumpkin also, but usually the moose or ravens come steal it before i can get it to them

8. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Mine love pumpkins and I have also heard its a natural wormer.

9. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    We were just wondering about that yesterday while carving. I usually feed the carved pumpkins to the chickens after halloween, but i don't know how many chickens i will have by then. Out of 50 layers, i got EIGHT freakin' eggs! :hair:

The slackers won't be around much longer....................

10. totally off topic, but you may want to try a light for your birds. Unless they are older and at the end of thier laying life? When the days start getting shorter mine slow too. If you put a light with a timer on, it usually only takes a few extra hours of light. Ya know you don't want to keep them up all night! Oh and it's best if the light comes on early in the am, instead of it turning off at night catching them off guard out of thier roost!
    Hope I'm not telling you things you already know? Hope it helps!