The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
I never had goats when I got the girls. I bought the rope halters and I may have used them incorrectly, cause they would keep tightening and the girls would be breathing hard, head shaking, and it was causing more stress. I was able to walk them, using animal crackers as the "carrot" to get them to follow me. I soon found nylon halters, more like horse halters, which we both liked - goats got used to them quickly and I didn't have to worry about hurting them. Still used animal crackers and now we go on walks all the time. I do have dog collars that I'll use if it's really hot out or in the winter time, those times when I know they'll stick by and not take off or if we are walking in the woods versus up in the yard, where they could spook and go towards the road or where they tug hard to get to the "good" grass. So I'd highly recommend nylon halters and some kind of treat - I did not know what all healthy foods they were good with then, plus animal crackers are less messy.

I just bought a large one for my one girl at Jeffers, 4.99 - stocked up on some electrolytes and selenium to get free shipping. https://www.jefferspet.com/products...84a29fa2600f00000396/533884a49fa2600f000003b4

· Registered
701 Posts
I learned on here a year or more ago to tie them to the fence. I bought the small foot long dog leads -the ones that have a clip on both ends. I give them a small treat to get them to voluntarily move where I want to tie them and they are fine. The one will almost immediately start chewing her cud. She'll actually start chewing as soon as I put the halter on her, so I know she's not stressed about it. I think it took them maybe two times, short periods, for them to not pull or call out. Now I use it when I need to get the mower or truck in or anything else where I don't need two Nosey Nancies running around!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.