halter type?

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by ohiogoatgirl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i am short on money and am wanting to make my own halter. would you recommend a halter that just went around the nose-chin and then behind the ears-chin? like in a V shape. i have seen them on horses in pics but never used one. what do you think?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You could try it, I guess...but you and get a halter/lead combo at TSC for about $4....and you can get a really nice halter for $8-$9. The problem with goats and halters is that if there are no cheek pieces the halter will slide right off their nose...

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i made a "rough copy" yesterday out of twine. i think it will work. i am going to make one from an old lead rope. it is still strong and thick and i think it will work.
    yes, i love TSC! ours is very small and is mostly tools and parts, and small pet items, a few books, and some horse leads and medicine.

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    its not working the best... i tied one together but it keeps falling off her nose... :( darn it! now i am trying to make a regular halter. DUN, DUN, DUNNNNNNN!!!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, that is usually what happens...they definitely need cheek pieces to keep the halter from sliding down--Good luck with the new design!:)

6. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i found a new design! i am going to make one like the one in the pic: http://www.berrysghfarm.com/photo_album.0.html
    i kept fiddlin' around yesterday trying to make one but i never thought of this! mine were much too complicated... very excited to make 'em and put 'em to some good use!!!

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i was trying to make one like that too but it didnt work... i dont think i used the right knots... i made the new one last night. it works great! didnt have enough time to train with it any though. it will get lots of practice tommorrow though. SENIOR SKIP DAY!!!! i love it! mom said i could skip b/c i havent missed hardly any school. yay! first all day with them! :happy:

9. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i was trying to make one like that too but it didnt work... i dont think i used the right knots... i made the new one last night. it works great! didnt have enough time to train with it any though. it will get lots of practice tommorrow though. SENIOR SKIP DAY!!!! i love it! mom said i could skip b/c i havent missed hardly any school. yay! first all day with them! :leap:

10. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    AH to be young again.
    :thumb:

11. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I didn't get to do senior skip day my senior year, my biology teacher decided to put a massive final assignment due that day :( oh well ;)

12. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    oops! i posted that twice... how did i manage that?
    that stinks that you didnt get to have yours!

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I recently aquired 2 free halters...They are AWESOME! Maybe try Hoeggers catelog?