Halters?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I would like to train my Nigerian Dwarfs to walk on lead. I've been looking for goat halters and all I find are basically choke chain type collars like you would use on a dogs neck. Is that all that people use? I thought there might be something like you would put on a horse or llama?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I just use a regular dog collar. The kind with the plastic clip works well, not to expensive, you can get them at Walmart. I've seen the halter type, but you may have to order those on-line.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I too use dog collars, except for Hank, he has a face halter that I ordered thru Jeffers, as he is a buck I find that a collar just gets tangled in his mane and when his neck swells when in rut I fear the collar being too tight, The halter works great.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I also use dog collars but you can order a goat halter from jeffers or maybe you have a local tractor supply or feed store nearby that carries them.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hoeggers (sp?) Jeffers and caprine supply all carry halters for goats. And if you search on google for goat halters I think there are other suppliers that also carry goat halters.

I use dog collars just to hook up my goats for feeding time and for easier handling. If I wanted to go for a longer walk or hike I would get a halter, which I plan to do here soon for Jasper, he needs something constructive to do with his life.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you are wanting a halter for a Nigi, then I would go to Caprine Supply. I have ordered them for Jeffers, but they do not carry them small enough for a Nigi. The small barely fits my two year old goats, but Caprine carry them for Pygmys, and that is where we get ours for the baby's and yearling's. We have to show in a halter, (well they really want every one to show in a halter).

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks Lori - thats really helpful to know

8. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    We have halters for all our Nigis. The extra small ones fit our does and the small for our buck. We recently ordered them monogramed with their names from a site called "UniquelyEquine.com" The colors combos are endless and they do a great jor with them.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so you ordered them from that place or are getting them monogramed from there???

10. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    We got halters from both Caprine Supply and Uniquelyequine.com. I like the ones from Uniquleyequine the most because there are so many color choices and they will monogram them.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you post pictures of your goats modeling them? I am curious to see how they look

12. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Sure can, Stacey. I will get some pics today.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Here are the pics of the halters i promised.

Attached Files:

• J1.JPG
      J1.JPG
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • Jill.JPG
      Jill.JPG
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
    • T1.JPG
      T1.JPG
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  15. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Ooops, can't leave Jack out. Jack is a mature nigi buck and his halter is the small size. His is black with blue overlay and monogramed with his name in white on the nose. His monogram doesn't show up as well though. The girl that makes these is very helpful with making suggestions and choosing colors.

Attached Files:

• Ja2.JPG
      Ja2.JPG
      File size:
      27.8 KB
      Views:
  16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those are really nice. I have a red halter but for Jasper it jsut doesn't do. He needs something more manly.

How much does the monogram cost?

17. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    she charges $9 for the monogram. you will have to choose and overlay color if you want a monogram on it. I just checked the page and didn't see the xsmall size in the box. I'm sure she has them though. Just email her if you are looking for something you can't find on the site. Her name is Cathy and she is very willing to accomodate you.