The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew and I (and the goats and the dog, of course), just got back from a 3 day trip into the Gila Wilderness. It rained every afternoon and we had to spend a lot of time in our hammocks and under our tarps. Lessons learned:

Most hammocks come with skimpy rain flies that keep the hammock dry but nothing else. We have a Hennessey Expedition Asym (for sale) and a Mosquito Hammock. Both have barely adequate rain flies. So we had to pack in 2 extra tarps, one for the goats and another for a common hang-out and equipment storage area.

Re the cold problem. This is best solved by adding a layer of insulation under the hammock. A self-inflating mattress like a Therma-Rest, or a cheap blue closed cell sleeping pad are a big help. Both hammocks have a double bottom so it's easy to add the sleeping pad. Another thing that really helps is a Space Blanket folded up with the shiny side up and put around the sleeping pad.

I think I am going to leave the hammock's rain fly at home in the future and just pack in a big tarp (9x12 or so) and put that over my hammock. It will serve as a cover for the hammock, plus cover the goat packs and other gear, plus a place to hang out and cook. The goats still need their own tarp because I don't want them hanging around that close to my hammock and pooping and peeing and pilfering thru the panniers. Also the hammock rain flies are rigged diagonally. This is done to minimize bulk and weight, but it really minimizes the protected area under the hammock. I think a big rectangular tarp strung along a line over the hammock will provide a lot more cover. This cover is very valuable in wet, or hot sunny weather.

One thing we took that really made life good were a couple of sturdy aluminum folding stools, with nylon seats. They were so much more comfortable than sitting on logs and rocks. They only weigh 1 lb, too.

Having used both tents and hammocks over the years I feel qualified to say that in truly wet weather a hammock is much better than a tent. With a tent the ground under it is going to get wet unless you do a lot of trenching. With a hammock you just divert the water away, and everything under the hammock's tarp stays dry. It's also a lot more comfortable to spend time in than a tent. The only downsides are that a hammock is not as good in cold weather, or if you have somebody to snuggle up with at night.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Just got back from our first hammock trip. I will never sleep on the ground again.

I put the hammock thru the sleeping bag and out the bottom corner where the zipper can open from the bottom, I opened it about 1/4 across the bottom. I pulled the sleeping bag down to get into the hammock, then slipped it back up, which was real easy since there was no one laying on it.

I kept the zipper on top rather than on the side as when sleeping on the round. I didn't need to, but had some clips that I could have pulled it tight around my shoulders.

The sleeping bag stayed fluffed since there was no weight on it. Offering it's full insulating potential.

In colder weather I may , do the same with a tube tent made of space blanket.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We used the hammocks in the colder weather at the Rendy. I used the same rig as before and simply slept in insulated overalls. I was warm and comfy all three nights. Hannah used the same gear and her feet got cold. We tries a tube tent made of a space blanket on her hammock. The space blanket stuff is not strong enough to use as a tent. It was too short if it had rained. It should be 10 feet long rather than 8' to give enough length to pull it closed. But I like the idea still. If it could be a material that doesn't make a lot of noise and also has the thermal and waterproof properties of the space blanket, it would be perfect.

I strung mine low enough to the ground that Pig could actually touch me while laying down and I could put my hand on him if he stirred.

Kris tried the hammock and didn't like the feel of being wrapped up. So she slept on the ground. I may get one of those one man pop-up tents that twists into a 14" circle for her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts