Hand cramps

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by rebelshope, Mar 6, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I do enjoy my time milking, but my hands are just cramping up with these little niggie teats. Is there a trick, or will my muscles just get used to it?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I usualy milk with my index and thumb and if it is a bigger teat I add in my middle finger. I push the teat between the lower part of my index finger (where it joins the hand) with my thumb.

a little cramping is normal your hand will get use to the motion soon

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe buy one of those squishy balls that you can squeeze with your hand.....it will help strengthen your hand ..so you can milk longer.... :wink:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do as Stacey does....but it's a bit more difficult for me and took awhile to get used to it because I don't have what you would call dainty, ladylike hands! They are big and milking those little teats can be a chore....I use those clamp looking spring loaded hand strengtheners for the "time off" or as I do now....keep a girl in milk, so your hands stay strong. :greengrin:

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I milk like you guys do, I guess I just need to get stronger hands.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as a young teen and I was milking guys would comment on how strong my grip was! :greengrin:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You should see my forearms!!! LOL More muscle there than any female I know :ROFL: It takes time to get built up to the point that it doesn't cause your hands to cramp.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yeah it just takes time...when I first started milking my hands would cramp so bad, it was painful. They'll get stronger with time.

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I agree, it takes me a month of milking for the camps in my hands to ease up, by they do.

I've always wanted to try the Maggidans Milker, it's supposed to be great for teeny weeny teats. http://www.maggidans.com/milker.htm If you have little extra cash rolling around, hee hee, it might be worth a shot.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    IF you have a few dollars you can make one. Its not that hard either. I have made one based on someone elses but have not tried it.

11. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I've thought about making one myself, Crocee. It's basically, a cattle drench gun, IV tubing, and the barrel of a syringe. I'ld like to know how yours works out.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tried the one I made....didn't care for it, took too long and you still need to hand strip the doe.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well I may find out tomorrow. I am going to attempt to milk the doe who freshened on Wednesday. Shes got milk and I want some of it. I am going to lock the babies up and steal me some milk. If I don't milk her, her udder is never going to get bigger and I will always have to supplement those kids.

14. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I really just like the fact that the doe cant get her feet near the bucket, that would be nice on my first freshners :roll: Of course knowing my does, they would just step on the tubing or crush the cup. I attempted to milk Glitz when she freshened this year, she would be sweetly chewing eating dinner, I'ld get her almost milked out and then CLANK, she's knocked over the entire pail and refuse for me to touch her, I cant tell you the bruises I have from that darn goat. I just know she was watching me cry over spilt milk snickering. :GAAH:

15. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    "Never cry over spilled milk ". . . I swear that must have been said by some man after watching his wife go to tears seeing all her hard work go to waste when the goat knocked over the bucket! :wink:

16. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    My sister and myself were the only ones who could milk the Nigerians, I had to rest my hands after a little while and milk again but that is one reason we went with the Mini-Nubians though.

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You need does with bigger teats. I have been there and done that. Had some that my hands would cramp up horribly. Used the Maggidan milker for them. Then they were gone. I couldn't deal with that long so I've weeded those lines out of my herd.

Does with good teats are so much easier to milk and my hands don't cramp up at all. The maggidan milker is saved for FF who have smaller teats now, or if I can I avoid using it because its been more trouble than its worth.

18. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I just wish I could milk a little faster. It took me almost 20mins start to finish to milk Bella today. She doesn't have big teats since she is a mini, but they aren't horribly small either. Her orafice size seems ok to me (not that I have much frame of reference), she just has so much milk on one side that it takes forever to get it all. Even when I quit, I'm sure I could have gotten more... I just didn't have the time! I don't know how much milk is a decent amount, but I am getting almost a quart from one side and much less than that from the other side that her doeling is nursing on.

19. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is me too. It takes me so long to milk because I have to keep stopping. Yesterday I just gave up and put the kids on her and left her with the kids this morning. Tomorrow I will milk her again. She milks out easily, my hands just get sore.

I have thought about adding a Nubian to my heard.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    of a mini mancha you are getting 1 quart from one side? thats pretty good :thumb: