The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like opinions on the best quality, cost effective hand milking starter kit. This spring I will have (hopefully) 3 does freshening. The ones I've seen look good but I'm unsure of the sizes needed in buckets or cans and would like some experienced input here. Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caprinesupply was one. Hamby was another. I guess I thought some folks could give me ideas on what they've done or bought. Sizes and such

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a kit for 1-2 goats from Caprine supply and it has served me quite well. The six quart milk pail that came with it works well for 2 goats for me. At their peak it doesn't quite fit both of them, but that doesn't last too long.

The rolled edge is a bit of a disadvantage for pouring and cleaning. It leaves a seam underneath the rim that is hard to clean and the milk runs down the side of it when I start pouring if its really full. Buckets with an open rim cost more because they are made from a thicker gauge of metal.

I wish my bucket was available for sale already and I could tell you to buy it! :)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I bought a gorgeous open rimmed (like Davon mentioned) milk bucket on Ebay. You might check there I've also used a cheapish stock pot with a lid before. For me the most important thing is that it be stamped, not seamed. My husband's favorite is a 2 handled Revereware saucepan that we found at Good Will. So this part does not have to be expensive. Stainless Steel, heavy duty, stamped not seamed.

I try to avoid keeping milk in the bucket. As soon as I finish one goat, as she is finishing her ration, I immediately filter the milk into a sterilized glass gallon jar. That way whatever dirt or hair that may have gotten into the milk is quickly removed. This is very easy, because I bring everything with me to milk, it is all right there.

I have a very nice filter with an insert that holds a filter disc, which gets thrown away. It was expensive, but I do like it.

My very good friends who value cleanliness do a great job with one of those coffee maker extremely fine mesh basket filters. It's that reuseable one that people can buy to replace those paper filters. I'll post a link to show you what I mean when I find one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nicelucky-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ERGTRP4FQE14J41PBSED

That gets popped into a funnel which gets put into the container they are filling. Pretty cheap and really effective. I can attest that it works well.

Is this the kind of information you wanted?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Reactions: Goatrude

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I hand milk sometimes and use my milker sometimes. Depending on if they are all at peak production, or how my arthritis is!

My milk bucket looks a LOT like this one, but is much heavier, thicker.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Me...F8&qid=1507465727&sr=1-4&keywords=milk+bucket

I like how tall it is, keeps the milk cleaner for me.

Of course, when I'm milking one of the pygmies or NDs, I use something else!

I hope we are helping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a gorgeous open rimmed (like Davon mentioned) milk bucket on Ebay. You might check there I've also used a cheapish stock pot with a lid before. For me the most important thing is that it be stamped, not seamed. My husband's favorite is a 2 handled Revereware saucepan that we found at Good Will. So this part does not have to be expensive. Stainless Steel, heavy duty, stamped not seamed.

I try to avoid keeping milk in the bucket. As soon as I finish one goat, as she is finishing her ration, I immediately filter the milk into a sterilized glass gallon jar. That way whatever dirt or hair that may have gotten into the milk is quickly removed. This is very easy, because I bring everything with me to milk, it is all right there.

I have a very nice filter with an insert that holds a filter disc, which gets thrown away. It was expensive, but I do like it.

My very good friends who value cleanliness do a great job with one of those coffee maker extremely fine mesh basket filters. It's that reuseable one that people can buy to replace those paper filters. I'll post a link to show you what I mean when I find one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nicelucky-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ERGTRP4FQE14J41PBSED

That gets popped into a funnel which gets put into the container they are filling. Pretty cheap and really effective. I can attest that it works well.

Is this the kind of information you wanted?
Yes, this is exactly the info I need! With the coffee filter do you know if they use another filter within that metal mesh? Thank you so much

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I do know, because I am their milker when they go out of town. No, they use only that fine mesh strainer, in a funnel, into the glass jar. Everything is sterilized and very clean, including the goats! This family is VERY clean. I don't know how they stand to visit me!

This is the mastitis test they use. They test each goat's milk separately every week.

https://smile.amazon.com/039018-Cal...8295&sr=8-4&keywords=california+mastitis+test

I use to use a strip cup. But found it pretty worthless. I still have it. You can have it for the postage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those same friends have a milking station that is quite far from the house. This is what they take with them to carry the milk back to the house in. They milk into a pan, and each goat's milk is then poured into this, and the lid goes back on.

https://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YGCN0YJP74DGVP68E8BR
I do know, because I am their milker when they go out of town. No, they use only that fine mesh strainer, in a funnel, into the glass jar. Everything is sterilized and very clean, including the goats! This family is VERY clean. I don't know how they stand to visit me!

This is the mastitis test they use. They test each goat's milk separately every week.

https://smile.amazon.com/039018-Cal...8295&sr=8-4&keywords=california+mastitis+test

I use to use a strip cup. But found it pretty worthless. I still have it. You can have it for the postage.
May I ask what you now use for a strip cup? Why do you find it worthless? I may take you up on it! Thanks

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
I don't use a strip cup either. They're used to check the milk for clumps, stringiness, etc, before milking. You're going to see that anyways because you should milk the goat out no matter what is in the udder. I just do the first 1-2 squirts out of the bucket in case any dirt, bacteria, whatever, has collected on the orfice.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
As Suzanne said, I just don't use it. I have several goats, and it just seemed a wasted of time because after a while, I would not know who's milk was whose on that screen.

Anyway, I'm cleaning the house out, I don't use it, and I'll send it to you for the cost of postage.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I bought a few packs of white men's handkerchiefs and I use those to filter my milk into a jar after hand milking and then wash and reuse! I also use them to wash the udder and for cheese making instead of cheese cloth! Multi-purpose :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I hand milk, and I refused to buy any equipment other than disposable coffe filters. I didn't use a strip cup, and would just squirt the first 2 onto the sand. I could see if it was wrong before it absorbed into the dirt. I just used a stainless steel mixing bowl I already had, which I would pour through a filter into a quart sized canning jar I already had. I pasteurize my milk, so I would put the canning jar of filtered milk into a cooking pot with water up to the shoulder of the jar, put a thermometer in the milk, and heat the makeshift double boiler until the milk was the right temperature, then place the jar in a cooler full of ice water to chill quickly.

I knew a Navajo woman who just milked enough out to make her blue corn pancakes. She just took a ceramic cereal bowl, and held it under the udder while milking her half-wild goat one-handed.

All that to say, you can look around your house first and see if you have anything already, disguised as something else.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Whenever I tried using the disposable coffee filters, they caused me no end of distraction and frustration by clogging up. The milk just sat there, mocking me. I'm impressed you can work with them.

Now I use cloth, as above, or milk filters, as above. Given completely up on disposable coffee filters.

Reactions: bamaherd

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I never had a huge volume to work with, which helps. They would slow down and start clogging toward the end.

Reactions: mariarose
1 - 20 of 29 Posts