Handling Goat's Legs

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tyler, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    My goats hate it when I handle their legs and hooves. This makes it extremely hard to clip their hooves, and the such. Is there a way I could get them comfortable with me handling their legs?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    um trying just picking them up without doing anything. Hold it for a couple seconds then when they stop moving drop it and go to the other leg.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We just do it a lot. We have them in the stantion and mess with there feet while we give them treats or grain. Keep it up and they will get better, may never be great. Now my goats alwsays kick and things when I do their hoofs, no matter what but if you make sure you do not holf their legs to high they are a bit better. The back legs are the ones everyone tends to hold high. Hold it as low to the ground or stantion as possible, they are a lot more comfortable that way.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... :wink: :greengrin:

Hands on and time ....they will get more use to it....I do agree.... that even the most worked with goats.. at trimming time ...tend to jerk there legs....a few times...testing you...LOL :wink:

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Kk. Thank you all! :)

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i agree, hold up a leg until she stops kicking. when she stops fighting let go. it teaches them that when they stop fighting they get rewarded by you letting go. give them a pat and move onto the next leg. pretty soon you will be able to pick up feet with no problems. This technique also works for showing.
    beth

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The more you do it the more confortable they'll become with it. :thumb:

You know, I was just thinking... When you have friendly babies and you're able to handle them and everything, maybe we should handle their legs so they'll already be used to leg handling before they go to their new home. :shrug: You know like how you train foals to pick up their feet and everything...maybe we should do that with our goat kids?