Hanging Question

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Itchysmom, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    We are getting ready to butcher my whether. he is 4 1/2 mos old...starting to get a little too pushy and I have a feeling come next month he is going to be interested in mom and sister! I do not think the banding went well!

I figured we would just grind up the meat as he is so young.

My question is...do I have to hang him for days or can I just grind up the meat after he bleeds out? I could hang him over night as the weather has cooled down at night, but the days are still warm.

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    He might make really tender chops and roasts because he is so young, although they would be small. I don't know about the hanging, I take mine to the butcher and they come back in nice frozen packages, I am a wimp. But I think I have heard someone say on here that if they are that young they don't have to hang.

Jan

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    No, you do not have to hang him at all, especially if you are making ground chuck there is no reason to hang him.

You hang a animal to allow the break down of the meat and to make it more tender. We usually butchers ours when they are approx. 8-14 months of age and have never had to hang one yet.