hanging udder

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Graffogefarms, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Just wondering - Honey's udder is hanging low,and its getting a bit scratched, was bleeding today quite a bit, and a few days ago. She is now indoors with the other goats whether she likes it or not. I had left her out for a few days, and today,when I came back from picking one of my daughters from school, - her, stubby and Goldie were grazing by the road. We have quite a busy road here. I went on the grass, beeped behind them, and followed behind till they went in, then I got out of the car, caught honey by the collar and then She did everything she could to prevent being put indoors in the shed with everyone else, Sat down, lay down, dragged, etc. Anyway, I want to prevent more damage to the udder, any ideas?

2. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    They make udder support harnesses. I have seen them on-line, but not sure where.
    I would recommend not breeding her again. poor thing, glad you are taking care of it. :)

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Be careful leaving your goats out where there are no fences. Someone I know left her goats out just long enough to go down the road a bit and came back to dead goats. Dogs had found the goats and killed them.

As far as the udder goes, there are udder supports you can buy or I don't think it would be that hard to construct one yourself. I too wouldnt breed a goat anymore that had bad udder support if they were a dairy goat.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, Is she Pregnant or Nursing? I have one that is HUGE, and she is nursing. For some reason this year one side it totally empty, and the other side is HUGE. I have to hole her and let the babies nurse because she will not let them nurse because she is so big and I am sure it hurts. I am lucky that the babies are almost two months old.