Hannah's got it again-Much Worse-Is it the last straw??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nupine, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    As some of you may know, I have a doe with mastitis. She is a smidge over two, and she had a mild case when we got her at less than 5 months old. She kidded 9 weeks ago with Heidi, one of the most amazing and wonderful creatures I will ever be priviledged enough to know. Of course she is retained. Well, after Hannah kidded she was doing much better. But, about a week ago, she was eating no grain, VERY little hay, and some grass and bread. She was also very thin. She is a small alpine and should weigh about 110 or so, I used my weight tape and just about fell over. 85#. I called our goat friend a couple days later who is next to a vet with goats, and she said she has stopped eating because her udder hurts and to milk it out. I gave her B12, wormer, and Today. That was about 3 days ago. I have milked her every day since then and each day the stuff in her udder is getting worse. But she is gaining weight and is eating like a normal goat. The first day it was like a clearish yellow with a little bit of clumps. The second day it was a watery clear with quite a bit of clumps. And today, it was a watery blood and completly full of clumps, so clumpy I could hardly milk her. :cry: I got braces about 6 weeks ago, and it is closing my gap and it is bleeding, so you bet it isn't very pleasant to have blood in your mouth and be milking the MOST DISGUISTING bloody stuff out of a goat. The blood and yuck is only on her right side, the other side is just skin.[Dried up completly] The udder has shrunk somewhat though. It is a little hot and she doesn't enjoy the milking. I can watch goats kidding and scoop up the kids when thay are born with out a problem, but the stuff coming out of her is making me gag. I am weird though, I can watch the goats kid and touch the goo, but I gag when I have to wipe the food off the table after dinner. :greengrin: I feel so sorry for this doe, she has never got to know what it feels likie to have a painless udder. I could cry right now. She is very special to me, and I hate seeing her in pain. We are getting more Tomorrow today. :) As we have spent hundreds of dollars in vet bills trying to help her, which none of that worked, and the vet is baffled by her, it is useless to call him. We asked him once about removing the udder, but he says they usually die from that because of the artery and they bleed to death. I am so frustrated right now. We hare having some animals problems. My parents are making me find good homes for our two sheep within a month that I like or they are trading them to go for meat to a friend for some venison. And I am trying to find homes for a doeling and wether twin 3/4 nubian 1/4 alpines. Everyone says they want them, but no one is putting down deposits. And we have been feeding this nasty, expensive, molding, stemy, pickery junk hay for all our animals, but we finally got some good stuff. And my money making turken chickens are eating all their eggs. But after watching the very sad Feed the Children thing yesterday, I know I live like Bill Gates if those are my biggest problems. I don't know if I am asking for support or advice on Hannah, probably both. If she is truely through, we will have a vet put her to sleep, not go to the sale barn of course. I would love to show pictures, but am afraid of animal rights activists. On the outside it looks like there is nothing on one side and a hard cantelope sized mass on the other. What should I do? I just really hope none of you will ever have to go through this. It stinks.
    Ashlyn

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Number one: don't drink the mastitis milk, even I wouldn't do that.

Try and feed the milk back to her via syringe(minus needle) orally. The milk has natural antibodies and will help her. Tommorrow is to treat dry mastitis and isn't really going to help her much. You need to get Today and also she needs to be on a strong antibiotic. If you can involve a vet or a breeder that knows about goats and that you can trust you should.

For an herbal route(and this lady is very helpful and knows a lot) please check out http://firmeadowherbs.tripod.com She may have something that can help you.

The biggest thing is to keep her milked out, and spray chlorohexadine(sp?) on her teats to keep bacteria out. You can get chlorohexadine from a farm supply store, its a blue teat dip, I prefer to use it as a spray since it is more sanitary. From learning from another breeder, the chlorohexadine in Fight Bac is ineffective as a teat disinfectant and that the stuff you get in a gallon jug works much better.

I hope you figure it out for your doe.

Pictures may be nice of her udder, to make sure that she isn't turning gangrene on you.

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Ok. I don't even drink goat milk yet, and if I can't look at it, it AIN'T going in my mouth!! But make her drink it?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You really can't force an animal to drink anything. Just take a syringe out with you when you milk her and give her probably 3 syringe fulls(if it is a small syringe, I don't like to give them too much) Also, it is extremely important to keep her milked out so that you are keeping the infection out of her udder. Also, please check out that herbal site, she has some wonderful curing products and I"m sure she could help your doe.

just a side note, if her mastitis has gotten bad enough, you can more than likely still cure her and get her better, but the damage to her udder may be permanent and she may lose function of one or both halves of her udder.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have a friend who has a lamancha doe with chronic mastits. We gave her three doses or LA200 every other day. we also did three straight days of today, one tube per side, wait 24 hours milk her out and then treat again. Repeat for three days. Also vit c helps mastitis. Some will eat the orange flavored shewable tablets. you cant overdose her on this. we then waited ten days and did ten more days of penicillian, as well as three more today treatments. Chanelle no longer has mastits, but she will never be bred again.
    beth

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Just for a late update. I gave her more mastitis stuff, and lots of prayers and love, and she is doing much better. I have slowly been drying her up. When I first milk her, her teat is really tiny, but by the time all the milk is gone, half her udder becomes her teat, and it is like wrinkly elephant skin. But it is much smaller, and I only milk her about every 4-5 days now and get about 4 oz. of fluid. It almost looks like milk. I have been milking her other side too, which has normal milk, just to practice on my milking skills. But, now she has what appears to be like a skin infection, and was flaky. So I tried shaving her, but the clippers were all screwed up, so she has a lot of hairy spots, and her head, neck, and legs are not shaved. So she looks goofy. And from the infection her skin is kinda mottled, so she is really weird looking, but hse is comfortable. I can't wait to see if she has anything for an udder next year. And her daughter is a beaut, I really can't wait to see what she gives us. Hannah's dam had a ''perfect udder'', so it is a shame Hannah has to deal with this. She is improving though.
    Ashlyn

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If she still has fluid coming out of the one side instead of milk you need to milk her every day twice a day until it is normal milk. As far as the dry udder goes, you can get a product called Bag Balm (it comes in a little green can) at your local supply store. That really helps with dry chapped udders.

8. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    We used some kind of udder cream and massaged it in as we did the last massage on the udder to get the last drops out. Worked really good for me. I think just about any hand cream would work too as long as it absorbs all the way into the udder

10. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I didn't know about the staph issue when we used them but only that we didn't want to have to clean the udder off to milk later in the day.

But that is good to know as I don't want anyone to have to deal with staph