The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I came home to find a HUGE branch off our golden apple tree (also called Jamaican June Plum - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondias_dulcis)

so, I proceed to clean up the mess, and had to have the goats come help. today they are happily munching on the piles of leaves.

I am currently finding lovely homes for all that fruit.

First picture was what I came home to, 2nd is the fruit haul and yes the feed bag is FULL of fruit (the dog is looking sad b/c the golden apples are taking up his sleeping space), and 3rd picture is the aftermath of the cleanup and the goaties munching away.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of fruit! How cool. :) Does it taste like any kind of regular fruit, or does it have a unique flavor? :) They sort of remind me of pears a little.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's just a BRANCH. when my bf bought the land, it was overgrown by grass, so all the trees just grew UP. this tree is about 100ft tall.

the best way to describe the fruit is when it's ripe, it tastes kind of like a yellow plum, quite sour, and with a bit of mango-ey texture.... I find ppl here prefer the unripen fruit. I heard people eat it with salt and lime, or make juice, chutneys, jam, or pickles with it. these fruit make my lips itch, which leads me to think i'm allergic to it, and I don't like the taste/texture, so I don't eat it....it's too bad since we have so many!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, the weird thing about this fruit is when you cook the ripe ones to make sauce, it ACTUALLY tastes like real apple. I've used it in pies and turnovers. turned out quite nice actually! the cooked version doesn't give my lips the tinglies, but they're still a pain to process b/c of the fiberous pit.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'd have to wait for these guys to ripen, which may take forever.....and did you know mason jars are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find on island? lol. no jam for me thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts