Happy Labor Day

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 5, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    A day early, but I hope you all have a wonderful Labor day! I also hope your enjoying your weekend! How are you spending your weekend?

We have no plans since my husband only had yesterday off from work. Is spent yesterday cleaning house, grocery shopping, came home while kids and hubby went to his brothers to visit.... then I went out and trimmed feet and got everyone up to date on that, grain, hay, and water. WHEW, but I love taking care of the goats :) And I was sooooo proud of my newer doe who is wild as a hare. She walked on the leash without a fight, and stood for me when I trimmed her feet! YEAY! And then the oldest goat kid walked on the leash too, and when I grabbed his foot for trimming, he freaked out a bit at first, then laid down and just watched me trim then started to doze off LOL He's such a character, but such a good boy :) Stayed up late watching tv last night, and just got up an hour ago LOL!!!

Not sure what all we'll do today. I need a few things from the store, and plan on worming and vaccinating the goat kids this afternoon..that'll be fun...heh...

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Happy Labor day to you too....and all..... hope everyone has a great time.... :cool: :stars:

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

happy labor day weekend to everyone too!
    We are keeping busy leveling the ground behind my current doe barn for the new add on addition. With a prediction of around 40 nigerian dwarf goat kids to be born starting mid-February, we decided we needed to add-on. We are going to pick up the rest of the wood tonight & start construction.
    We also had quite the project yesterday, someone gave a set of concrete stairs for the goats. It took a lot of time but we got it loaded on a trailer, hauled over & managed to get it into one of the goat pens by pushing & pulling it with a bobcat we rented.
    Also have the hubby busy building a goat house. Our new young buck Oliver does not get along at all with our other bucks so he is getting his own mini-barn & fenced area. Then I just have to pick up a young wether on Saturday so Oliver will have a buddy to snuggle with in the winter.

4. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    No special celebrations here. We are winterizing and getting projects done before the snow hits. Greenhouse cleaned out, and working on getting the goat barn all sided in so they will be nice and cozy for kidding, and new sliding doors on the front of our shop.

Might grill a steak but thats about it!

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow sounds like you all are real busy with your updates! I wanted to get siding on our mini barn this weekend, but just didn't happen :( We really need to get it done as colder weather is just around the corner!
    My kids and I spent the day outside - I cleaned out part of our mower shed where we store grain, got a trashcan to put grain in and rigged it so hopefully we don't have problems with mice. Let the goat kids out to play & browse while I was cleaning, and they came to help...naturally...haha!
    Got the goat kids wormed, then turned everyone out in the front yard to graze. It was such a GORGEOUS day, perfect weather. We brought our table and chairs around front, watched the goats graze while we played 'Uno' and just enjoyed ourselves.
    Someone came and bought our young buck, so we saw him off to his new home. Hubby and I gave our goat kids their cd/t shots, came in, showered, and finished the day with some chocolate chip ice cream with fresh strawberries...YUM!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I worked the entire weekend and Mondays are my usual day off so I am taking it easy right now.

I have two loads of laundry to fold, my sheets need washing, goats hooves need trimming and I may go riding this afternoon.

We had a BBQ with our local church community group last night so today is just a lazy day. Its beautiful out, no humidity and I dont even know if its reached 75degrees yet.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Sounds like a nice plan Stacey! I was planning on finishing up laundry, and relaxing today, turn the goats out and enjoy the weather :)
    But.... my husband came home from work early - they only worked 1/2 day, so I think we're going to go get siding for our goats mini barn and try to get it up! Something I can't wait to get done so one less thing to worry about before winter!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Today is one of my scheduled days off...I get 2 a week( sometimes ) I have a crock pot on with pulled pork and a basic put together BBQ sauce, a couple butternut squash in the microwave, a load of laundry to hang and jars to fill and process with sauce. I'm getting ready to go out and mow the pastures down as theres alot of dry scrubby weeds standing that the goats won't touch. Theres never as day to relax and rest here...always something that needs done.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    happy labor day to everybody...friday night we went to a race at the kentucky speedway saturday wine festival with my boyfriend and camping, sunday party and camping and today relaxing and homework yuck!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    didnt go riding but I got my room cleaned, 4 loads of laundry folded and took a walk with my dog. I also went shopping (stupid) and bought some new running shoes and riding shoes. Good deals because its back to school but the crowds were no fun.

now im headed to the lake with my parents, dont know what we will do; maybe kayak for a bit or just walk around. its a beautiful day.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Liz - I hear ya on the no time to relax part! Sunday was the first time we just sat around and relaxed, playing cards. Usually I am going through the house cleaning up all my youngest daughters messes.... her daily routine is going through each room and pulling out toys all over the floor...LOL But then she is almost 4 :)

A day at the lake....camping....I am so envious! I LOVE camping! As a teen we spent nearly all summer every summer camping. I miss doing that kind of stuff.

Today it was....it felt like we spent forever at Lowes! We bought siding for our goat barn, but couldn't find the color stain we wanted in the brand we wanted...it took forever, and we finally found something we could settle on.
    We put up some siding, and a breeder friend stopped by to chat for a bit. Then about 5 minutes after we came in, my husband's uncle and grandpa came over to visit for a short bit. His grandpa is visiting - from Mexico :)

Got some house chores done, and here I am....whew.