Happy..new additions!!! EXPLANATION added!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Mar 7, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    :cool:

Today I picked up... 15 2 year old Scottish mule sheep!

I'm so excited... They're pretty little things, really woolly. Some have white faces, some brown/speckled and they're just... nice?

AND they're all pregnant with twins, scanned and due from the 5th April, although my neighbour says some of them may spring early as they're all hogget ewes. Ie, first-timers.

:party:

I'm ecstatic... I thought I wouldn't have lambing at all after my ram didnt "work" as they say, and I had to sell on all my ewes to the factory.

Thank the parents for putting up over 2 grand in Euro for me to buy these lot.

Woo 15 + 30 lambs... ahaha 45! *faints*

THIRTY LAMBS!!!!!!! :baby: :girl: :boy:

LW

PS I WILL take photos so y'all can see what a mule looks like

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Happy... got lots of new (not goat) additions!!!

That is so great!! Congrats!! I've never seen a Scottish mule sheep...you'll definately have to post pics!

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures. I'm sure you've given your parents extra hugs and kisses and told them how much you love them right? :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

congrats...pics... :leap:

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Congrats! I can't wait to see your lot and what you get from them!

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I figure I'm gonna be busy with 15 first timers all twinning, neh?

:help:

7. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL

Ha ha, yip, you've got your work cut out for you. I've never really been around sheep, do they act like goats? do they have quirky little personalities ? I just couldnt imagine 30 lambs due! Wheew. Do lambs bounce around like kids?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thats a lot of sheep!! Yes, please post pics, don't see many sheep around here.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

Wow! Lotta sheepies! And yes, Baby sheep do bounce like goats. They just don't do the rearing up thing like goats do. But they sure are cute when they bounce, they look like tiny deer! I miss having the little ones. I'll probably breed ewelissa this year along with the goats. I really wish I had bred this year, but I am just not ready for them yet, and I didn't want to have to scramble to get everything done.

Wow, speaking of scrambling, you are going to have your hands full! I hope they will all be healthy. How did you end up with so many? I know you said auction, but I figured there was more of a story to it. I love stories!

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Ok... now for a (maybe lengthy) explanation!

Last year I had a grand total of 26 sheep, including about 10 x 4 year olds, 5 x 3 year olds, 5 x 2 year olds (hoggets) and 6 x ewe lambs.

I put them with a Texel ram from the beginning of October until the end of November. 2 months total. I was away during this time period most of the time, so was unable to tell whether the ram was re-breeding etc. although the times when I came home I sometimes saw him showing interest in the ewes.

Anyway, just after Christmas I got a guy in to scan (ultrasound) the ewes, and excitedly waited for it to be done... after a few, one broke loose, and I was like "oh no it got into the ones that have already been scanned" . The guy's like "I wouldnt worry about it mate, looks like there's nothing here" or something like that. Then he's like "was it a ram or a wether?" kind of thing.

I alternated between tears and rage at that point. It wasnt my ram, it was one I had borrowed... and I had been so looking forward to lambing, and everything... anyway the guy I borrowed the ram from had no idea that it was "faulty" (ha) as he had just randomly picked it out of a field of his 13 rams. So... I had to sell my sheep on to slaughter as I couldnt afford to keep them if they werent producing. Although, I kept 5 of the 4 year olds that I couldnt bear to part with, and 1 of the ewe lambs. I still have the other 5 ewe lambs as am kind of waiting for them to put on weight... and kind of maybe kind of keeping them? HA

So the guy I borrowed the ram from felt very responsible for my disaster, even though I tried to explain to him that I didnt blame him for it and it was OK. So anyway, he agreed to sell me whatever number of sheep and whatever specification, that I wanted... So I said I would like young sheep 2 - 3 years old, and preferably expecting twins.

He hadnt been intending to let these sheep go, especially not the twin ewes, but he did, and I told him that I would give him whatever price he decided on, for them. So he has to get back to me on that on Monday, but I am probably looking at about 140EUR per ewe. Which isnt really too bad considering that they're all expecting twins, and they're all stock that he bought in , in the first place, as his own replacements!!!

They're bred the first time round to a Charollais ram, and second time round to a Suffolk, if the first time didnt take. I can expect lambs pretty much at the end of March as he says he thinks some of them will spring early, although technically they are due 5th April onwards.

So they didnt come from an auction, although they have fairly spectacular "ear jewellery". Ie, they had a tag in their left ear from their original owner, and two tags in their right ear. I'm not sure what the blue/yellow tag (some had blue some had yello) means, so Im gonna leave it alone, and they have a white tag of their next owner in that ear too.

So I had to clip out the tag in the left ear and replace it with my neighbour's tag (which I said I'd do for him to save him the hassle as he's extremely busy, he has a massive farm) and when I've ordered in some new ones I need to clip out the white tag in the right ear and replace that one with my own.

Anyway :bday:

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh wow, that is to bad your origional ewes didn't get bred, but that was really nice of that guy to sell you his bred ewes. I'm glad things worked out in the end.