The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first freshener doe, 1/2 Alpine and 1/2 Saanen. She had twins Feb 1st. She has a nice udder and teats for a 1st freshener. She is only a year old, but she was 95 lbs when bred last fall. I let her breed because I read that weight and not age was the critical factor in letting them breed.

I separate the kids at night and milk her in the morning. Her udder appears full, looks like I should be getting a quart and a half or so but I only get about one pint of milk from her during milking. She has rock hard lumps inside her udder, seems like two or three per side, the largest being a little smaller than baseball size. It's like her milk glands are stone. Other than the hard things in her udder, she seems otherwise healthy, kids growing very well, no stringies or blood in her milk. The udder itself is not hard and is not hot, she's eating well. Can anyone tell me what this is? Will it go away, is there anything I can do for it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
If it were me, I would go to tennesseemeatgoats.com then articles. and see if I could find out what it means. I would email her or call her if I thought it an emergency. In case you do this. Suzanne is very abrupt. She knows what she knows. and not always tactful. do not take offense. She only cares about the animals not your feelings.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
I did some looking on the net and found some info and the main thing I was looking for. There is a mastitis test call CMT (California Mastitis Test). Mastitis can show up in lots of different degrees. So Id suggest this first just to make sure.

If its not mastitis it can be a few other things. A congested udder, which is more or less a clogged are with milk in it. They can get lumps from grasses with lots of endophytes in it.

You can try to treat the lumps with warm compresses with maybe something like aloe or vit c to help break down the clogs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't really thinking mastesis since there is no strings in the milk, no blood and the udder isn't hot, but I do have some mastesis tests around here somewhere that I bought last year, guess it wouldn't hurt to test her in the morning. I have an appt. with the vet to get a blood draw for a CAE test tomorrow, hope it's not that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mastitis tests negative on all 3 milking does this morning Went to vet and took blood. The vet has not done a lot of goat work but has taken care of thousands of cattle, said he has felt something similar in cattle, which was scar tissue in the udder following a bad mastitis infections. This is a first freshener doe & she has never had mastitis. He's not thinking CAE , but we drew the blood to rule that out. He's gonna call his goat expert & see what she thinks.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Oh man. It is starting to sound expensive. Thank God for Obamacare, am I right?

What are they charging for the CAE? I'm going to get my 3 goats tested and I was quoted 45 each goat. Said they have to overnight the samples. Seems like they're charging me overnight fees X3 when we all know its going in the same box.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Wow! that is freaking robbery prices. Id find someone else to do the test. If you have the nerves for it, draw your own blood. We will be doing our testing tomorrow and I can take a video of it if you like. But here we simply next day it to WSU where they do the test. Shipping is via the WSU account so we get a good break there at like 23.00 for of our vials. Just have to pack em really well. Testing is like 7.00 per animal with discounts the more you have.

Good to hear the vet is consulting someone with some knowledge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He said that he sends them in to CSU and they have two different test, the one he thought they would do is a genetic marker test, $15 per goat. He's doesn't think it's CAE, but went ahead & did the test anyway. If it just turns out to be some type of udder issue with this goat, my sister's boss has some land and is looking for a few weed eaters. Whatever it is, does not seem to be causing her any pain or discomfort. All the rest of the herd seems real healthy.

Now that I've seen it done, I think I would do the blood draw in the future, but a video would be great to have on here, I'd definitely review it before actually doing it when the time comes.

·
Banned
849 Posts
YES! YES! YES! To a blood draw "how to" video. In fact, I'd love to see "how to" videos about giving IM and sub-Q injections, disbudding, and tattooing as well. I already know how to do some of those things, but not all, and I know it would be helpful for anyone who is just starting into goats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts