Hard Udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Last year Dahlia miscarried when she was about three weeks pregnant because she ate some moldy straw. Her udder seemed to develop a firmness on the right side. Being the naive oaf that I seem to be, I thought whatever it was would work itself out with this year's kidding. Well, I was wrong. She has a large, very hard area on the left side of her right side. Now, I am wondering if I have made her suffer with mastitis for an entire year. There is no discharge from the teat. No heat. I can milk her. What do you think?

Thanks,

Gabrielle :shrug:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sounds like mastitis for sure!! Do you have pics, could you get pics???

3. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Well, here is a shot of her owie udder... :tears:

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You did say that you can milk her right?, It's entirely possible that she had a mild case her last pregnancy...which is odd to me that she would have even had an udder developed at just 3 weeks along, but then again hormones do odd things. If she did have mastitis it could have produced scar tissue in that area which may be what you are feeling...it would really help if you could keep her milked out and stripped out on both sides as much as you can and check it for signs of blood or clumps. I would have her tested for mastitis to see if thats the case and then treat her accordingly...I've not had to deal with that particular ailment and hope not to ever, but I think you can use the same test kit as what's used for cows. :)

6. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Dahlia is CAE negative.

7. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I can milk her, but I don't get very much. She just kidded yesterday, the kid died, and she is a first freshener. I am supposed to call the vet tomorrow to let him know how she is doing. I will ask him what he thinks. Also, my breeder is coming over tomorrow so I will get his thoughts too. We are giving her penicillan shots right now because I had to get the kid out myself so I will ask the vet if those will help.

The lump is SO hard and it is so large that is cannot fit in my hand. I feel like a terrible goat mom right now! I have never had so much go wrong with my little herd!

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is this the nubian that you posted about in the kidding forum? So sorry you lost her doeling :hug:

For a nubian I would expect to see a larger udder...and right now just a day after delivery she may not have been totally filled...and what you are milking from her now is colostrum, so it is a supply and demand type deal, get out of her as much as you can at least twice a day, but see what the vet suggest s also...he/she could even tell you if the lump is the result of mastitis.

Chin up okay? These things happen and no it is not easy ever....I lost one of my precious pygmies during a very bad delivery as well as her twin does...it still hurts but you do get past it and I hope that Dahlia will have the opportunity to give you more babies in the future.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    could she have CL?

i bring it up because one of the girls in my 4h club had a boer doe that had a lump like that but bigger. she still milked but tested positive for CL so they had her put down. the lump was the size of a softball

10. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks to all for the input! My breeder should be here soon and he is going to take a look at Dahlia. Also, I have another call in to the vet so I will see what he thinks. I am hoping the penicillin that we are giving her because of the terrible kidding might help with whatever is going on in her udder. :pray: I'll let you know...

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry about the rough kidding and the hard lump on her udder. But don't feel bad :hug:

12. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Our vet still hasn't called back, but my breeder said Dahlia's udder definitly is suffering from mastitis. I will ask the vet for exact recommendations regarding care when he calls back. My breeder said the penicillin should help, but I should massage her udder too after I milk her out. Any other suggestions?

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A warm compress will help and fore warning, when you do get her massaged she is goingfto fight with you because it hurts her, an absorbable lotion will help you to work it out also, as long as it is absorbed and doesn't just coat her skin I think any lotion would be ok...no bag balm as it is a petroleum base and will seal the skin...you need it to breathe. I hope your vet gets back to you soon and keep up with the penicillian...vet may have you use a Today type mastitis infusion.

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa