The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has a rather hard udder but no other signs of mastitis or other sickness.She's also rather thin. What should I do? I don't want it to have anything to do with antibiotics. A friend of mine said that I should start giving my herd vitamin C. Supposedly you can't overdose vitamin C. Other than that I have no clue. Can I drink or use the milk?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
do the dish soap test for mastitis then you will know how to proceed if you have mastitis. if she has mastitis you will have to keep her milked out. drench her with her own milk to make her develop anti bodies. vit c wont hurt but i dont think it does much good either. if you still have her kid let it nurse as well. if she passes the dish soap test her milk is fine to drink. check her worm load by looking at the inside of her lower eyelid should bright pink. if not pink there are herbal wormers also evergreen boughs but not ponderosa pine.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Do you have the california mastitis test? That is very helpful. You can also test her milk for it.

It could just be congested. How does the milk taste? I would start off milking her as often as you can, and massaging it with a warm wash-cloth as long as you can after milking. That encourages congestion to break up, allowing the milk to come out and the udder to loosen. I would also consider feeding her back her own milk. If she has mastitis, this can encourage her body to create antibodies against the infection, and could aid in her fighting it. Giving her vitamin C every day won't hurt either and may help her clear. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I give my milking girl vitamin C every day 500 mgs. I heard that it is supposed to prevent mastitis, and I have had no issues as of yet:)

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
I give my milking girl vitamin C every day 500 mgs. I heard that it is supposed to prevent mastitis, and I have had no issues as of yet:)
I just started using the vitamin c regimen as well. Have for with hard bag, never could nurse. May it may not help, will see!

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do the dish soap test for mastitis then you will know how to proceed if you have mastitis. if she has mastitis you will have to keep her milked out. drench her with her own milk to make her develop anti bodies. vit c wont hurt but i dont think it does much good either. if you still have her kid let it nurse as well. if she passes the dish soap test her milk is fine to drink. check her worm load by looking at the inside of her lower eyelid should bright pink. if not pink there are herbal wormers also evergreen boughs but not ponderosa pine.
How do you do the dish soap test? I'v never heard of it.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it really helps boost the immune system.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have the california mastitis test? That is very helpful. You can also test her milk for it.

It could just be congested. How does the milk taste? I would start off milking her as often as you can, and massaging it with a warm wash-cloth as long as you can after milking. That encourages congestion to break up, allowing the milk to come out and the udder to loosen. I would also consider feeding her back her own milk. If she has mastitis, this can encourage her body to create antibodies against the infection, and could aid in her fighting it. Giving her vitamin C every day won't hurt either and may help her clear. :)
NO we don't have the test.
We always put her milk in with other goats when we're using it so it's hard to say. It looks normal and smells fine. Alright. Will all goats drink their own milk?

·
11,090 Posts
I mixed my doe's milk with molasses and garlic, and drenched her. Garlic also helps fight infections.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Congested or mastitis I like to use Vicks vapor rub to break things up inside. WAY better then heating up a wash cloth and running out as fast as you can before it cools off lol. It says warm for about it 15 minutes or so so makes life a little easier.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mixed my doe's milk with molasses and garlic, and drenched her. Garlic also helps fight infections.
do your does always drink it? I guess the molasses helps.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congested or mastitis I like to use Vicks vapor rub to break things up inside. WAY better then heating up a wash cloth and running out as fast as you can before it cools off lol. It says warm for about it 15 minutes or so so makes life a little easier.
where can I get it? or can I make it?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright so I tested and my doe was infected. What am I supposed to do? We're leaving for out of town tomorrow and there is absolutely no time to take them or a fecial done.

·
11,090 Posts
How long will you be gone? My preferred method of treatment is combining chemicals and herbs. The chemicals whip it faster, but often leave a bit of infection behind, which means that sometimes the doe can freshen with it repeatedly. Herbs take longer to work, but if you keep at it for awhile after all symptoms are gone, you stand a good chance at it being gone for good.

I found Fir Meadow's Udder Blast actually worked better than the chemical I used, "Today". "Today" didn't touch the infection.

So, what I would do in your situation, was start giving her 4 vitamin Cs 2x daily; half a cup of kelp 2x daily; fresh garlic, her own milk, and cayanne pepper drench 3x daily; and a warm udder compress as often as you can. Milk, milk, milk as often as you can. As soon as you get back from vacation, I'd order Udder Blast, or a chemical. If you can wait, it is better to test the milk before you use a chemical, because same with worms, different mastitis infections are effected by different chemicals.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long will you be gone? My preferred method of treatment is combining chemicals and herbs. The chemicals whip it faster, but often leave a bit of infection behind, which means that sometimes the doe can freshen with it repeatedly. Herbs take longer to work, but if you keep at it for awhile after all symptoms are gone, you stand a good chance at it being gone for good.

I found Fir Meadow's Udder Blast actually worked better than the chemical I used, "Today". "Today" didn't touch the infection.

So, what I would do in your situation, was start giving her 4 vitamin Cs 2x daily; half a cup of kelp 2x daily; fresh garlic, her own milk, and cayanne pepper drench 3x daily; and a warm udder compress as often as you can. Milk, milk, milk as often as you can. As soon as you get back from vacation, I'd order Udder Blast, or a chemical. If you can wait, it is better to test the milk before you use a chemical, because same with worms, different mastitis infections are effected by different chemicals.
We had our feed station order kelp so we won't have it until, I don't know, we got vitamin C She is now going to hate me or life. :) Oh wait! She already does! We're gone fro 5 days. What should I tell my friends? How should I get vitamin C into her? Wait I think I know she falls for calf manna. Loves it! I'll tell my friends not to drink the milk. I feel sorry for them because they love the milk. They're really looking forward to having it. She's only on morning milking should I change that?

·
11,090 Posts
Most of my does love their vitamin C, but there was one who didn't. With her, I used a pill crusher to crush the C, and sprinkled it onto her food. You can also use a spoon and a bowl to crush the Cs the old fashioned way.

The milk is probably okay, but I would personally not risk it. :( Probably not the best for consumption.

If they can manage it, at least 2 times a day would be best. The goal is to get that infected milk out of there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if you are leaving for 5 days i would give penicillin im. i know you want to stay away from anti biotics BUT i think you have to make a choice sometimes . are your caretakers willing to milk her very 4 hours? you can drench her before you go. if she is willing to take her babies back that is the best solution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts