The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 week weanling doe driving me nuts. She is a feed-obsessed escape artist. The only reason she ever got weaned was because I got rid of her mama. She climbs, jumps, lays down and wiggles...favorite technique is to fling herself in a sideways leap over and at a fence over and over again trying to get any body part on the other side for leverage, then she scrambles over and drops. This morning she left the other weanlings in the creep feeder (they had alfalfa pellets & goat feed), threw herself over the fence and climbed a mesh-covered panel to get over and into my 30 year old horse's breakfast which is 4 feet off the ground in a hanging feeder. She has gotten into the chicken pen to eat chicken feed, she went through 4 fences to eat and kill a young lemon tree, she climbed across a hog panel that was laying flat 4 feet off the ground then over a chain link fence just to eat the dog food. She is currently tied to a post in the middle of the yard with a reinforced collar. She is the last baby from a retired pet goat and is a gorgeous, tiny but well-formed tricolor Nigi. She is a little bigger than a house cat and weighs about 20 lbs. Since I spent so much time chasing her down she is totally wary of me and hard to get my hands on. I just spent my morning raising the sides of the buck pen (she escaped from this pen once before)(don't know where I'll put the buck), staking the bottom of it and putting covers on the gate edges (she has squeezed through some tiny spaces). I'll put her in there before I go to work tonight. If she gets out of there she'll be in the chicken pen...if she gets out of the chicken pen we start all over again.
I need to break her escape habits long enough to where staying in is a habit. And/or restrain her until she is bigger, less nimble, wider and easier to contain.
Mostly I needed to vent. I have great fences. My goats are well fed and healthy. I have been raising goats at this location for 30 years. This baby girl is confounding me. I wish I could explain to her just how suicidal and stupid her actions are. How she hasn't injured herself, gotten stuck & died or gotten killed on the highway has been sheer luck.
(I just reread that last part and it sounds like I am talking to one of my human kids about their stupid teenager tricks).

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Im afraid she would be inside a chicken wire enclosure with electric fence to keep her in. I use a solar power Parmak charger. It bites hard because goats have very little grounding contact. So a weak charger wont affect a goat. Parmak will. Once she gets bit..it will change her mind. I have an adult doe acted the same way...until Parmak. Shes a good girl now. She just needs to see an electric wire and she walks the line. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts