The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goat Newbie
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again ladies and gents! The time has come where our Iris is getting close (I think haha)!
She has two due dates (today and tomorrow) bc she was with the buck on two occasions.
Last time around she had a single doe but I’m pretty sure she’s got at least 2 in there this time. Iris is the sweetest, most interesting doe we have - I swear this is the most inquisitive goat I’ve ever met. If she could talk, oh the things she’d say.

So far so good - eating normal, but yesterday and today was staying a little separate from everyone else although that’s not totally unlike her. Her udder is filling but I think could still fill a bit more. I’ve got her in the little kidding stall I made but no goat ever likes to stay in there alone very long.. just trying to observe her by herself for a bit.
I could be wrong, but I think I read that before birth, they will go from being “round and wide shaped “ to more barrel shaped when the kid(s) drop. About how long before birth is this? She is still pretty wide. I’ve only had multiples here twice and one was to a doe who is an odd shape to begin with so I can’t remember.
Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Carnivore Terrestrial animal
Plant Tree Grass Groundcover Natural landscape
Vertebrate Goat Mammal Plant Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal Snout

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sometimes the kids will drop days or a even a week or two before birth, sometimes, they will drop right before. I usually look for those hollows around the hip bones, and then when the tail head starts looking hollow I know I'm close. Though I've had 2 does give birth unexpectedly this spring, so what do I know??? 🙄 happy kidding!

·
Goat Newbie
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Iris ended up going into labor shortly after I posted this! It was an... interesting birth. Baby buckling born quick and pretty easily. He is on the larger/ lanky side. She passed the afterbirth within 10 minutes of baby. I let mom clean baby and waited patiently for the next baby that I thought was SURE to come. And I waited... and waited... and then she started acting a little weird. She sort of zoned out a little and was breathing heavy. I text my goat mentor, GoatsRock, and she suggested a few things for me to do to check for more kids. I ended up going "way in" and felt nothing but warm goat-insides.
I think mom was starting to bloat? Her sides felt sort of hard. Gave her baking soda and she drank lots of water and started to calm down a little.
That night she did eat the food I left in there with her and some hay.

Yesterday, both mom and baby just were not thriving. Mom laying down a lot - although she is letting little guy nurse. Baby is up and around, but not bouncy/ spunky like I'm used to. I gave mom Pribos and a shot of B complex. Baby got B Complex also.

Hoping that they were both just worn out yesterday from the long night before! Headed out there shortly to assess the situation.

Anything else I should give them? Hoping they both perk up soon.. Pics to come - I don't have my phone near me at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.