The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
We got two positives on two does that had kids. They have always worked for us, but we have only used them a couple of times. :)
In the future, we plan to do blood tests just to be safe.

·
8,972 Posts
With a 50% chance of being correct, there would be some folks it "worked for" and others it didn't. I tried it on 10 bred does. (Hand bred). 2 positives, 8 neg. the 2 positives didn't kid, the others did!
(This was a few years ago when I first read about the p test).

So, I say it is a toss of the coin. Blood test and/or ultrasound is more reliable, in my mind!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I haven't seen any comments about Pregnancy Testing with a Milk Sample yet...thought I'd toss this one in for a laugh. : )

Last year, after the kids were weaned and gone to new homes, I sent a milk sample in to get tested. With a milk sample, they tested for Protein - Butterfat - Somatic Cell and...Pregnancy. I did the pregnancy test just for kicks mostly. Of the two does that I would've been most concerned about being pregnant (by her own buckling)...she tested "OPEN" and my other doe (who I was not worried about at all) tested "PREG/RECHECK". Both does were OPEN/UNBRED in reality.

I can safely say through my experience that a Pregnancy Test with a Milk Sample may not be very reliable. I will be blood testing (if in doubt) going forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used these tests for 3 years. The first year, I tried to quantify the color changes (I'm a scientist). The results were all over the place. I tested one doe I wasn't sure about and she was negative and then kidded the next week. It is a great idea, but the resolution on the test is not adequate. I would like a urine pregnancy test as an alternative to ultrasound - I looked into a personal ultrasound intrument for me because of the cost. Would like a more definitive method of confirming pregnancy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.