The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubi girl, a 2 year old first freshener who is seemingly completely healthy all day. She eats well hay and grain, but whenever I put her on the stand she starts coughing up frothy foam and spewing it everywhere. She has done this for over a week now with only a couple of exceptions.

She's the same doe who I posted here about a little over two weeks ago who had the 2 premie doelings 8 days early. Those two, Marge and Rita are doing awesome by the way have had zero health setbacks, they took to the bottle and never looked back. The bigger one Marge who was more mobile for the first week and a half started eating off mom and gave up the bottle in the first week, but Rita did not and so I have been getting her mom up on the stand to let her nurse and then milk her out to feed her the rest of the day.

The dam of those 2 is a very gentle doe whose mom is a great milker and she seems like she will be a great milker also. She was dam raised and has never been worked with much so she was very nervous but has been handled a lot more these past 2 and a half weeks with those 2 babies in a small pen. I try to take her very calmly to the stand and limit the stress and she's learned the routine doesn't resist even jumps up on her own now.. I have tried giving her only alfalfa pellets or grain up there, but it doesn't seem to matter. Most times she will start the frothing and spitting before she even gets anything to eat up there.

It's so bad that I have started putting her up there last because once she foams all over the feed pan, the other does I'm milking won't even eat out of it. So does it sound like anxiety? After she's back in her pen for a little while she will calm down and eat her grain just fine and it doesn't happen except when we go to the stand regardless of time of day. The 1st time I thought she had some bloat and drenched with baking soda which she has free choice but doesn't touch. She really hated that and shows no outward signs of bloat other than the foamy spitting...

Sorry so long winded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow, I really don’t know! But if it is an anxiety thing, I would try just getting her on the stand without putting her head in the head gate, give her a treat(if she’ll take one) and then put her back out. Do that until there are no signs of anxiety, then ask her to put her head through the head gate but don’t lock it, give her a treat and put her back in the pen. When she’s comfortable, latch the head gate and then immediately unlatch it and let her out, etc.
Work with her multiple times a day, and while you’re working on it, I’d tie her to the fence and milk her on the ground, instead of using the milk stand before you’re far enough along in her desensitization to do it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Is she overly excited about eating? I had a Nubian like this, she was just so food driven she'd choke. After a few times she learned to slow down.

Will she eat soaked alfalfa pellets? Soaked beet pulp?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree..sounds like choke. Try putting a few larger rocks in her feed dish to skow her eating down. She will have to eat around the rocks

Reactions: jaycee

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Maybe the anticipation :ponder:... The idea of bringing her up and down to desensitize her may help then.

Reactions: jaycee

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for these suggestions. I don't think she's choking because as Ranger said it happens even before she's really eaten much of anything. It seems to be just about the stand itself and like I said its weird because she will even jump up there. But then I hear her making these very faint moaning sounds like she immediately gets a bellyache just being up there then spitting everywhere and she no longer will eat when that comes until she's back in her pen. SHe does it up there whether I am milking her or letting her baby eat as well and sometimes before either of that happens. I'm telling that little kid hurry hurry before mom gets sick again (embarrassed)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you have pics of your stand setup? How high up is the feeder? Is she having to crouch in a weird position?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
it happens even before she's really eaten much of anything. I
So she does it before she eat much but she is eating at the time?
I have a few goats who moan when eating..they really enjoy their meal lol.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Might experiment by not having any feed in her dish..instead hand feed a tiny bit at a time..see how she does doing that. Talking soft to her and pet or brush her between bites of food

Reactions: Damfino

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made the stand 15 years ago have milked scores of nubis on it shes about average size theres no crouching or tight squeezing. She starts to get sick before she takes a bite sometimes i think it’s psychological.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts