The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wanted to know about how to safely run your buck with your does without them getting bred. I just read about this on a goat group and wondered if anyone else had heard of it before. I have never heard of it, is it safe?? This is the comment I read:

You could also treat the girls with a progestin. Melangesterol acetate is a feed additive you can buy and add to their feed. It is used to synchronize estrus in cattle and goats by making the female "think" she is pregnant. She will not cycle and will not breed. Feed 0.25 to 0.5 mg/doe per day of the active ingredient (If the product is 10% MGA, you need to feed 2.5 to 5 mg to each doe EVERY day). Just keep in mind, once you stop feeding it, they will breed in the next few days.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
The problem I see with this is that you are putting a synthetic man made hormone into their body, daily. How is that going to affect their milk and their meat? I don't care what anyone says, it can't be good and it has to affect it.

Your friend would be better off to buy a new buck, breed her girls and then either sell him or put him in the freezer if she doesn't want to have separate space for him. Or find someone who is willing to rent a buck.

Sure it might make things easier but to what consequence to your health and to theirs?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I also think a person is better off to just keep the buck separate. Even if the does aren't cycling, the buck is still going to harass them to try to get them cycling so he can breed them. This means more stress on the buck and the does. I'm not really a big fan of giving goats hormones to make our lives easier. I would also be worried about any side effects, like the goat being permanently sterile.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Interesting.... I think I might read up on this a little further for 2 reasons really. I have electric fences and well my almost 5 mo old buckling doesn't really obey them ALL the time... I found him on one of my big girls... a few weeks ago, and I do believe she is bred, since she didn't go back into heat. I was hoping to introduce them in October for March babies not January... #2 it would be nice to have everyone bred at the same time:)

I see where this could be enticing to some degree, but like others pointed out why put a hormone in the goats body to be easier on us? So in that sense, no I will not be trying this. I'm sure as my buckling ages he will obey the electric fences, just like my other buck who is a little older... I had the same issue with him, not anymore:)

·
1,524 Posts
Look at the side effects human birth control pills can have, I would worry about the same thing with my goats.

Plus, as picky as goats can be, I would worry that they are not eating their proper dosage and would end up with a normal heat cycle and get pregnant or a wonky one where you would never know if she was in heat or not and it could effect any kids she could be carrying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Someone wanted to know about how to safely run your buck with your does without them getting bred. I just read about this on a goat group and wondered if anyone else had heard of it before. I have never heard of it, is it safe?? This is the comment I read:

You could also treat the girls with a progestin. Melangesterol acetate is a feed additive you can buy and add to their feed. It is used to synchronize estrus in cattle and goats by making the female "think" she is pregnant. She will not cycle and will not breed. Feed 0.25 to 0.5 mg/doe per day of the active ingredient (If the product is 10% MGA, you need to feed 2.5 to 5 mg to each doe EVERY day). Just keep in mind, once you stop feeding it, they will breed in the next few days.
Continues heat missing is also not good for doe as she irritate continuously bleating run madly disturb other female by mounting them may disturb her health as would not eat properly for approximately 48 hours.

It's better to separate the buck or cool him down by injecting some human birth control injections or breed the heard seasonal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts