Has anyone read. . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers?
    Ohmygosh i'm crying right now.
    I just finished it and it :tears:. You need to read the first book---it's called A Voice in the Wind. soooo sad, but I love sad stories.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have read two books by her.

Cant remember the titles though. Wait.... one was "the sin eater" and the other was the better of the two but I cant remember

so why is the book sad? I dislike sad books

3. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I don't like sad books either. But Francine Rivers is a good writer. I especially like her 5 novellas on the women in Jesus' lineage - Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. These books are definitely not for children to read though. They show how God used very imperfect humans to bring fulfillment to his promise of a Savior.

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    The first book is called A voice in the Wind and it's about a jewish girl during the time romans took over jerusalem and made captives and slaves of all the remaining (living jews). She becomes a maid for a selfish roman girl and falls in the love with the girl's brother. In the end the roman girl finds out that Hadassah is a christian and sells her to the romans in charge of the arenas, and then arranges things so that when Hadassah is fed to the lions her brother is there to watch her.
    It is soooo sad. But Hadassah doesn't die even though she is horribly scarred---a student doctor smuggles her out of the arena (he was suppose to cut her open and study her internals) and saves her life. This is the 2nd book, An Echo in the Darkness.

5. farmgirl

farmgirl New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    The Mark of A Lion Series are some of my all time favorite books. I've read them a couple of times now, truely makes you think about how mabye your life isn't so bad after all... As Sure As the Dawn is really good too, when you get to it. It is about the German gladiator Atretes and a Christian woman named Rizpa, but if you haven't read it yet I won't ruin any of the surprises :greengrin:
    Pam B- Those are the Lineage of Grace series about the 5 woman in Jesus's lineage, they are really good books too. I definately agree that Francine Rivers is an awsome author. There are just so many really great Christian books out there, it is really sad that a lot of people don't seem to realize it. I was on a Christian forum once and people were actually asking if there was Christian fiction out there! I have too many books :dance: If you liked that series you may also enjoy the Sons of Encouragement series, basically the same concept, going through some of the more well known men of the Bible, also by Francine Rivers.