Has anyone used the Portasol II disbudding iron?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HummelHill, Apr 19, 2010.

1. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    After much research, I purchased a Portasol II disbudding iron, as many breeders speak very highly of it, plus I liked the fact that it seems to be lighter weight, and without the cord, easier to handle. So a couple weeks ago, a friend of mine and I attempted to use it disbud one of my kids, and we were surprised at how thin the edge of the tip is (not sure how to describe it, but I believe the literature calls it "a cutting edge") Anyway, as we started to disbud this kid, it seemed like the iron wasn't cauterizing the skin enough; it burned through, then the skin was sort of able to move around around the burn :? So we ended up finishing up with the rhinehart iron. So my question is... has anyone had any experience with this type of iron?? If so, is the technique different?? I'd really like to be able to use it as it seems much easier to handle..just not sure how... Thanks!

2. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, i've seen it used. With that Iron you have to pull the cap off. I really like the "Cutting" edge on it, but that's about the only thing I like about it.

4. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    Thanks! I apologize for all the questions, but do you know why you are supposed to pull the cap off with the Portasol, but not the electric irons? I'm trying to figure out why those who prefer them think they are better. There must be something I'm missing....