The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you only turn the crock pot on for a few minutes. you bring the milk up to 185 on the stove then put it in the crock pot to cool , when it is down to 115 you add the yogurt starter mix well and wrap the crock pot up in heavy towels. you turn the crock pot on for onlt a few minutes every couple of hours after eight hours you take the crock pot and put it in the fridge to cool we usually cool overnioght. then strain with milk filters and that's it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
This is my yogurt recipe. Turns out great and the only heat you use at all is when you heat it up. I set it in my empty oven and leave it there for 8 hours. I use my raw goats milk....I don't pasteurize. I've also used instant pudding mix (small package to 6 cups yogurt) adding it before I put it in fridge. Love it and it's super easy to make.

YOGURT

1 quart (32 ounces) of full fat sheep or cow's milk (pasteurized)
2 tablespoons of previously homemade yogurt or plain unflavored yogurt with active live cultures
2 tablespoons of full fat milk (same type)

Start with all ingredients at room temperature.
Heat the milk just to the boiling point and pour into a non-metal container. Let cool to
lukewarm (100-105F). A skin will form on top. Mix the 2 tablespoons of yogurt (homemade
or commercial) with 2 tablespoons of milk. Add to the lukewarm mixture, carefully pouring
down the side so that any skin that may have formed on top is not disturbed.
Cover with a clean dishtowel and place on another towel in a warm, dry place for at least
8 hours (or overnight) until it thickens. Note: 8 to 12 hours is best. The longer the yogurt
coagulates beyond that time, the more sour the taste becomes.
Mix in any flavor you would like…I use whole fruit spreads.
Carefully drain any excess liquid. Refrigerate for 4 hours before using.
Store in the refrigerator and use within 4-5 days.
Don't forget to save a small amount to make the next batch! The yogurt can be eaten as is,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts