Has anyone witnessed an aborting doe? *Picture Warning*

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SterlingAcres, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Callie is one of my pet-quality Nigerians. She's a real love bug since she was a bottle baby. She's always super friendly, happy go lucky and the first to the gate when I'm dishing out food or visiting. On the 21st, I went out to lock up the barn that night and found this hanging out of her. She'd be almost 60 days bred. She was obviously distressed and was "talking" to her sides like a mare in labor.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy photo, it's from my cell phone. It was a long thin string (that looked almost identical to a cat's umbilical cord) and a small sack. I watched her for a few hours. She passed another bubble and had a bit of bleeding. I ended up passing out that night, but when I checked in the morning, she was swollen but no worse for the wear. I found no kids or evidence of her dropping the placenta. She was back to her normal chipper self. She was crying a bit, but other than that, she was okay. How long after passing a kid would she come back into heat? It's been a few days and I haven't seen anything remotely like heat symptoms. She's in with the bucks just incase.

I'm confused. lol :help:

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am no expert but I have a feeling she might have aborted. I sure hope I am wrong, and I hope she is fine and still preggo.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like it to me also. :(

I've only had one goat miscarriage and it looked similar to that

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry - but yes, that is what it looks like to me

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sorry, it does look like she miscarried.

Do you have any idea as to why? If it's because the pregnancy was abnormal or she got a hard hit I would think that rebreeding her would be ok, but I would imagine her body would need time to "clean" out even at just 60 days into it...I think I would wait and see how she does over the course of a few weeks before being bred again.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well... I'm not 100% sure. She has been in with the Nubians, who are definitely starting to bully the minis. I haven't seen any nasty butting yet, but it's always a possibility I suppose. It's been 5 days now. I examined her again this morning. She's not swollen, bloody or anything else. But I also haven't seen heat signs, so maybe it wasn't a total miscarriage? Can a doe abort one baby but not the other? I just don't know.

I'm keeping an eye on her.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That definately looks like she aborted. Weird though that you didn't find any kids around...there might have been a problem with them early on and her body absorbed them. I personally would give her some time to recover from aborting before you rebreed her, but it's up to you. She should start showing heat signs soon. When they abort all the kids will die.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a doe abort at 53 days (i believe it was) and the fetuses were less than an inch long - so you may not "find them" or, as Kylee mentioned, they might have resorbed. It is not common to have more than one placenta - so typically if one is lost they all are .... sorry

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We've had a doe abort before. :( We dont know if it looked like that before but when we found her she only had a foot sticking out. This was a boer and the kid was huge. She had more then a month to go and this kid was as a big as a single kid. Sad thing was he was a triplet and he had two other siblings in there with him that were WAY WAY smaller then him. It was very sad, but we are glad that she aborted them because she never would have gotten that one kid out.

10. blugrasnrs

blugrasnrs New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Hi. My name is Wanda. I had 2 does bred by my ram last winter. I didnt know it was a possibility, so I didn't separate him. They both aborted and it looked just like that. I am sorry for your loss. I would also suggest waiting for at least 2 heat cycles before rebreeding her. Aborting is hard on them, and her body needs time to recover. Their heat cycle is every 28 days so she might not have had one yet. Good luck with her.