The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 six month bucks that have the runs. I just noticed it yesterday along with one of my nannies.
The whole herd was wormed six weeks ago.
It has been a wet humid spring here in Pa. They are all on pasture, the kids are getting grain, but their has been no change except that it has rained everyday this week.
Wondering how I can tell if it is just the change in weather or if I have a bigger problem like cocci or worms.
I have 8 nannies, 7 new kids under I month, a three month old and the 2 young bucks. Right now I do not have the option of a fecal, what would be my best course of action?
I am going out now to check eyelids and gums.
Because of the wetness I guess they could be dealing with worms again?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just came in from checking them.
The two bucks looking like they are firming up but the 3 month old has it now and it is all over the place. She is a mess. She is a bottle baby, and has it all over her tail and legs. It is dark and runny.
When I wormed them all 6 weeks ago I did it times in a row 10 days apart, but I missed the third dose. Could I have screwed them up? I was thinking of worming them all again today with cydectin and then moving them to a different pasture tomorrow..... I am going to be away for a wedding this weekend..... someone will be here to take care of the goats.... but I will not be able to watch them..... makes me nervous. I want to everything I can before I go! so I have today and tomorrow.....

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
Personally, I would have a fecal done to include coccidia. You really don't want to use Cydectin unless you know what worms you are treating for. You don't want to build a resistance.

Dark stool would say coccidia to me. I would treat for coccidia first then go from there if you don't have the option for a fecal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts