Has this happened to any of you?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Our house sits on our property such that I can see 90% of it from our upstairs windows. During the day I'll usually just check on how Team Caprinae is getting on. Today something was odd. Took me a minute to figure out what it was.

We had an extra goat.

Around here you get used to that. Going out to grain the team and a couple new faces peek around the corner. But this one was grown up and had horns coming in already. :scratch:

Cute little nanny. Looks to be in good health. I'll have to update her shots and wormer, but otherwise clear eyes, good teeth and gums, ears are clean and otherwise appears healthy. Definitely has an appetite. The rest of team didn't seem to mind the newcomer.

That's definitely a first. I could see people trying to make off with one, but spiriting a stray over the fence...that's a new one.

I'll have to check with some of my buddies in animal control to see if it was them. Might have been one of our other friends with goats, though I couldn't imagine them not calling first. I'll hold off on the shots just in case it was one of them. Maybe they needed temporary quarters and came by while we were at the store.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha thats funny - must have thrown you for a loop for a bit.

I havent had that happen before --most people dotn even know i have goats we are pretty well hidden off the main road, our neighbors know we have goats but thats it.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That is very interesting...I can honestly say that that's never happened to us! good luck in finding where he/she came from!

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    LOL, :slapfloor: Never happened to me!

5. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Not knowing is part of the fun. Animal control usually has me pick them up. We actually have quite a few stray goats here because there's a halal slaughter house in our county. There are regular escapes from their feed lot, which was originally built for cattle. Animal control will dart them, get them a health check and adopt them out like dogs. They'll call me if they don't have a spare kennel. It's possible they snagged one out this way that was young and healthy and just decided to drop it by instead of holding it over the holiday weekend.

Our place has a lot of frontage and the land slopes away from the road. We have people pull over and watch all the time. My neighbors brag about how seldom they see me out mowing, so there's a lot of interest in the team. At night they slot up down by the lake behind the house, out of sight of the road.

We also have a lot of seniors out here and it's possible someone had to go to the hospital and the family unloaded the critters.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well its nice that you take such things in stride

:thumb:

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I had two angus heifers appear out of no where on my place. Posted pictures everywhere and even ran newspaper ads. The Sherrif said I could keep them after 90 days. They both were good producers up until the time we sold our herd. :shrug: