Has This Happened to You?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Aug 12, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so I have this adorable, sweet little bottle-baby doe who likes to lay down when she drinks her bottle, yes, lay down and "relax". Have u ever had kids do this before? I haven't before and don't know if I should just let her lay down or try to make her stand up. She's perfectly normal & healthy, I guess just a little lazy in that area. :D What do ya think?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's funny...hmmmm, never had that happen to me. Is she getting fed to often? Maybe she's just so full she's being lazy. That's odd, but cute. Sorry I couldn't help ya much more.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    No, not too often or too much. She's fed twice a day morning & night, 12 hours apart. I let her drink as much as she'll take, usually about 1.5 - 2 cups.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, that's not to much at all. Maybe she just likes to lay down while she drinks. I've never seen where they lay down to nurse, but I have seen them kneel.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off I hope this baby is over 2 months. if not only two feedings a day and that much at once could kill her.

Even at 2 months I never feed more then 8 ounces at a time. Their bodies cant handle large quanities of milk.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, Stacey she is over two months. This is the amount we've always fed our bottle-babies and we've had quite a few, never lost one. When she was younger she was fed less more frequently but now that she is older she can have a little more less frequently.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea most babies can handle alot especially if it's that spaced. i had two boer bottle babies and they would drink a liter at a time

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Everyone I've ever talked to who has raised goats for so many years (20-30+) have said that's an okay amount to feed. Many goat breeders who raise bottle-fed kids also have jobs and cannot feed them several times during the day. She doesn't cry for milk in the mid-afternoon, only morning about 6am and evening 5-6pm, so that's when I feed her.

That's a lot of milk! I believe it though. :) A friend of mine was raising boer buck kids that were only a few weeks old and each of them were drinking a gallon of milk every day!

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    oh yea, our two are wethers and we fed them to 3 1/2 months ( they were two of quads so they were small) but i went through like 2 1/2 gallons a day

10. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I think you need to take pics.. :greengrin:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I should do that. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

I got two of her today after she drank her bottle. I bring her in my house sometimes to feed because I can just make the bottle and give it to her right there. Anywho, she finished her bottle and just hopped right up on the couch and flopped down on some pillows! It was SO funny how she did that! Just like she owned the place or something. She's a crack-up! :slapfloor: She is seriously one of the funniest bottle-babies we've ever had. She also loves to snuggle on your lap after drinking her bottle, she just hops right up and rests her head in the crook of your arm. She's cute, now I want to go and hold her! :)

12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I feed free choice milk from the time they start on milk (after the colostrum *sp?*) to the time they are weaned. By free choice, I mean allowing them to drink all they want at each feeding. They do not have milk to them 24/7 since it would spoil in the heat and get cold in the winter. I have had good luck with it.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    after 2 months thats ok --- but I had to be sure as laying down could have ment she was just ot weak to stand to eat.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, I don't think weakness is at all the problem, I think she's just lazy! ;) She jumps, runs, and plays as much as any other kid. She starts out drinking standing up, then gets on her knees, then just lays down comfortably. :)

15. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    My hubby has fits when I bring the little guys in the house. I would love to see a picture of her on the sofa!!