The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average amount of money it takes to haul a horse 125 miles, round trip being 250 miles? I have a lady who wants to buy one of my mares but she's 125 miles away, and neither of us have a trailer. I used to but not anymore. So we are wondering what it would normally cost to haul a horse.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It depends, our area has people that advertise shipping especially if they are headed that way and just want assistance with fuel and they have an open spot in a trailer.

What are the two city destinations?

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
Professional haulers usually don't charge a return fee because they are traveling and moving more than one horse or has a pick up on the way back.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Sometimes Uhaul has stock trailers. the one near us has a 16 ft stock trailer you can rent and haul for yourself. I tend to think that would be way cheaper than having the horse professionally hauled.

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
Depends on the hauler and if they are hauling more than one animal. Many times it is cheaper because you have to think about the gas and any hotel/food expense if you are going a long distance.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
125 miles isn't far though, I can drive that in two hours not hauling a horse but even hauling it shouldn't take over 2 and a half hours. So it would be a day long trip there and back. I think I would ask the buyer to do it, but if I was desperate to move the horse I might consider it. I don't know though I would certainly contact some haulers and see what they charge and contact u haul and see what they have available.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depending on the distance, I charge the cheaper of either $75 hook-up fee and then $1.25 a loaded mile or $2.50 a loaded mile. 125 miles is what I call local long distance, you are probably not going over state lines, worse case 1 set of state lines and you really shouldn't need to stop along the way to check on the horse, I stop every 3 - 4 hrs, 125 miles shouldn't take 3 - 4 hrs, so I would check them once loaded that they are good in the trailer and as long as everything in the trailer stays quiet, I keep going. So, for this haul, you would be looking at roughly $225.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts