The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv had my goat for over 2 months and he is still stubborn on the halter
I'm afraid if I use bribery to much then he will only walk with me when I have food for him does anyone have any tips

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take him out like everyday and it's always a struggle
Iv tried bribery but like I said I don't want him to think he is only going to walk with food
Iv tried walking him with his goat friends

If you could give me any other ideas to train him that would be super great

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I take him out like everyday and it's always a struggle
Iv tried bribery but like I said I don't want him to think he is only going to walk with food
Iv tried walking him with his goat friends

If you could give me any other ideas to train him that would be super great
When he is walking and starts balking, how do you handle that? Do you tug on the lead rope, or have you tried leading him off in another direction that requires him to turn and follow you? Have you ever broke a colt to lead? Have you tried a rope around his backside, and used that rope to pull him while you are leading him with the lead rope?

·
8,177 Posts
We broke the 4-H goat to lead the same way we used to break the steers. Now, don't get all mad, nothing was hurt-
We have an old 6-wheeled Gator ATV. I tied the doe with a halter to the back of the gator and we went for a slow ride
down our long driveway. She learned that she couldn't balk, pull or stop. The first time, she yelled the entire 7 minute
slow walk. When we got back, I lead her around with the lead rope and collar, she still pulled and was silly, so I hooked her
back up, another 5 min. or so walk, the 3rd go around (total walking with machine and me, maybe half hour) she walked nicely. A hug, pet and back in her
pen until the next day. It took about a week, half hour a day and she learned not to pull, run ahead or drag her feet.

Now, I realize some may think I was mean- but my small grandson couldn't have a goat misbehave and hurt him or herself.
The doe was purchased full grown, had only been tied up to eat, had never been led, so, this was how we trained her. It worked.
She wasn't traumatized, but she was shown, she wasn't in charge!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
We broke the 4-H goat to lead the same way we used to break the steers. Now, don't get all mad, nothing was hurt- We have an old 6-wheeled Gator ATV. I tied the doe with a halter to the back of the gator and we went for a slow ride down our long driveway. She learned that she couldn't balk, pull or stop. The first time, she yelled the entire 7 minute slow walk. When we got back, I lead her around with the lead rope and collar, she still pulled and was silly, so I hooked her back up, another 5 min. or so walk, the 3rd go around (total walking with machine and me, maybe half hour) she walked nicely. A hug, pet and back in her pen until the next day. It took about a week, half hour a day and she learned not to pull, run ahead or drag her feet. Now, I realize some may think I was mean- but my small grandson couldn't have a goat misbehave and hurt him or herself. The doe was purchased full grown, had only been tied up to eat, had never been led, so, this was how we trained her. It worked. She wasn't traumatized, but she was shown, she wasn't in charge!
I do that exact same thing!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Now, I realize some may think I was mean- but my small grandson couldn't have a goat misbehave and hurt him or herself.
That is how a lot of people break show steers to lead around here, too. I used to think it was mean, but a friend explained why and I don't think that any more.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm sure you can do it with just about anything. The way I exercised my old market wether, I put a dog harness on him. Threw an old rope on tire on the back of my fourwheeler, hooked the goat up to my fourwheeler by halter. Pulled him to the back of the pasture, hooked the tire to his harness, unhooked him from the fourwheeler. I then drove back to the gate and with his separation issues, he ran with that tire all the way across our 7 acre pasture. Got 2nd in class and $3200 ;)

Attachments

·
4,499 Posts
I pulled the young bull with a rope and tractor today. I kept it super slow, and only had a rope around his neck cause that's all I could get on him. He did fine ...but didn't like it! No surprise there...
Is a rope on his neck OK as long as I'm slow and careful?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts