have 4 expecting does don't know due date - help figure out

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by meinmdusa, Jan 15, 2011.

1. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Hello all on tgs. I am very new to the site and still new to raising goats.

I have four expecting does and have no clue as to the breeding date as they were all kept together. But we recently traded our breeder buck for a male boar baby which will be our new breeder buck. So all the does now rule the pen but have recently shown signs of pregnancy. I have two that look to me the closest due. I need help to determine when they are close to kidding. I want to make sure everything is okay with the kidding. The temperatures are cold and know that I need to makes sure the baby kid is warm to survive.

I am getting really excited and am hoping for all healthy successful births. The two does that I think are the closest to kidding have had one previous pregnancy but the other two this would be their first pregnancy.

I appreciate your assitance.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: have 4 expecting does don't know due date - help figure

i dont think there is any real definitive way to just tell you how far into their pregnancies they are. I can help with when they look close but thats even a guess on my part not a real true answer. Im sorry there isnt a real science to it :/

3. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

Oh thank you so much for getting back with me.

I have some pictures but don't know how to upload them as this is my first ever post on a forum.

I went to look at them this morning and there is one in particular that looks a bit different this morning. I am almost thinking that she has dropped a little but would like some assistance to help determine this. She has also gone from being very skiddish to wanting lots of love. I am getting so excited.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

4. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Hi there! Welcome!

My questions would be:
    - What breed are the girls?
    - What ages are the girls?
    - How long have you had them?
    - Have you noticed them in heat since you've had them? They would be flicking their tails, holding their tails up, calling/cooing more, probably being extra affectionate w/the new little guy you got.
    - Have they kidded before?

The best way for us to help you determine if they're close or not would be rear pics showing the udder & rear area. We personally shave the rear udder area on our doe's about 2 weeks pre-kidding so that we can clearly see the udder filling & tightening, this is a sign of impending labor. It also helps with keeping things clean during/after kidding too.

I know there are some great clips/video's/info on TGS here about kidding time...I'll try to find one for you...

5. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Couldn't find the video I was searching for on TGS, but here's a few from Good Ol' YouTube... :wink:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3frFKw4rLU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3frFKw4 ... re=related[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbSs-Lt3MFQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbSs-Lt3 ... re=related[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIzxfUl5rQ&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIzxfUl5rQ&feature=fvw[/ame]

6. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

I have 2 - two year olds (not sure what breed they are as the person we bought them from told us one thing and we have been told by others something different) that have kidded once before. The one that I think is going to be the first to go had her first kid last April and abandoned it. After several hours of trying to keep her alive and having milked the mother and even drank the first milk from momma never got strong enough even after trying to get the temperature up. That was heartbreaking and then the other one gave birth a week later and we didn't even know it, he was adorable and is my profile pic. Now this is their second pregnancy and I want to make sure that nothing happens like the time before.

The one that looks about ready to go and still not sure if she will be soon or not, has all of a sudden became a lovable goat. She was always one of our skiddish goats.

And I have 2 - one year old boar goats.

How will I know they are getting ready to go into labor? I just think it will be soon for Milkshake. Milkshake was walking with her sides poking out on both sided high the other day but now I am not sure but think she has dropped. Isn't this a sign that it will be soon?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Well...since they haven't delivered yet, they were bred AFTER August 8th...normal pregnancies last anywhere from 145 to 155 days with some going to 160...the latter is rare but happens.

Get a feel for your girl's ligaments, they feel like pencils on either side of the tail in the soft area between the spine and hip points. Stacey has a good reference on her website for doing this.
    Also, you will notice udder development, in the First Fresheners, they will likely start udder growth 6-8 weeks before they deliver, the 2nd fresheners may not start to fill until 2-3 weeks before, or wait til the day they drop.
    Also, feel for kid movement, hold one hand palm up against the belly just in front of the udder, use the other to gently push inward on the does right side, if you feel movement like flutter or kicks...even a kid moving against your hand then the doe is beyond 3 1/2 months of pregnancy, I normally can't feel kid movement until my girls are into the 4th month.

Labor is usually indicated by a does ligaments disappearing, udder filled and she will go off to a secluded area by herself, will continually paw at the floor to "nest"..lay down and get up repeatedly, and some will even refuse their food, each doe is different with how they present the signs.

8. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

Okay I went out a little while ago and was petting a couple of my girls. Whew they are all big. I checked out their ligs. On one I felt the V and the other I did not feel the V. How close do you think it would be for the one I don't find the V in the ligs. Thanks for your help.

9. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

To post pics....
    Take your pic...upload into your computer (remember where it went of course), then when you click "Post" here on TGS...just below the box you type your notes in and just below the "Submit" button, you will see a title that says "Upload Attachment"...just below that it says "Browse" (Browse is what you click to search thru your own computer files to find your pic)... once you find it, click it,... then click the "Add the File" button just below the "Browse" button and it will upload your pic for you. Then click submit and your done! <grin> Hope this helps...

If ligs are truly gone, you'd have hours left probably....but ligs are a tough one to really get right. Once you really figure them out then it's a piece of cake & seems so crazy simple.

As to last years issues... did the doe's get Bose (Selenium/Vit. E) before kidding? Low Selenuim levels in doe's, and hence kids too after kiddding, can definitely be a huge problem...weak kids, inability to latch on & nurse, struggling to stand, etc. Very good idea to have a little tube of Colostrum (paste or a powder mix maybe) on hand or some kind of vitamin supplement with Selenium & Vit. E in it.

10. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

Guess the ligs are still there (will have to do some more research on that, thanks for the info saying it is hard to tell when you are new at goats and now I believe it) as she is still very much pregnant this morning. She looks so miserable. Well her and her sister are huge (oh they are nubian/boar mix apparently). I hope for twins but healthy strong kids will be just fine.

I hope that someone has their kids today so I don't have to get a call when I am at work. Wishful thinking tough. I am getting so excited!!!!

Our little boars are getting more skiddish. That has me worried that I won't be able to help them when it is time for them to kid. They are just not as pregnant as my nubian/boar mommas.

I need to go out and get some new pics and will try and post. Maybe I am off a bunch and they still have time. I just want to be prepared for a successful kidding with all of them.

11. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

Signs they are getting close. dropped look, sunk in on the right side, posty legs, rump angle steeper, not eating grain, acting weird or off, blank stare, talking to the sides of their tummy (baby), discharge, vocalization, ligaments gone, sunk in around the tail head, pawing at the ground (nesting) and contractions of the tummy.

Some may have all of these signs, some have only a few, and others may only show one of the above signs. The biggest thing is being very observant, so you can notice these signs or any off behavior. Good Luck :hug:

12. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

I tried to post a picture of Milkshake. Going to try again.

Attached Files:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Milkshake's a pretty girl!! Congrats on posting your first pic!

Finding ligs is hard to describe, even harder for a new "expectant" goat owner.
    When they are ready to deliver..there is no mistaking the "ligs gone"...the whole area around the tail is very soft and mushy.

14. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

back view. She did not want to stay still for her pictures.

Attached Files:

15. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

From the pic she looks a little posty. Is she normaly straight legged in the rear legs or is this new? Maybe it's just the angle of the pic.

16. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

Here are the others. I can't ever get them all looking at the same time.

from left to right: Happy Cow (a goat the children thought looked like a cow because of her spots) and Lucy feeding in the white bucket. Milkshake profiling, Bullet is the big girl in the front and then there is our newest little man that we traded for our last breeder buck.

Attached Files:

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

looks like yoru doe may have dropped some -- that means she is getting closer but could still be a week out or longer -- just depends on the doe.

18. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

I couldn't find any older photos of Milkshake of her back legs. I am not sure if her legs are always that way or not (posty). Does her legs have something to do with the labor? Just wondering.

I know that there is a very very faint ligaments on Milkshake but Bullet still has very distinctive ligaments as I can really feel them.

Here is a picture of my two oldest mommas that are the closest to delivery.

Milkshake the brown one and Bullet is the white one.

Gosh...I am getting so excited and nervous. Come on healty kids!!!!! We have been so patiently waiting your arrival.

Attached Files:

19. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

Can she lift her tail up over her back, pic shows it going off to the side where the other doe is up. Sign of ligs gone. The posty leg thing is supposed to be a sign of the baby getting in the birth canal I think. Keep and eye on her. Good luck

20. meinmdusa

meinmdusa New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Maryland

I think that she can still lift her tail above her back. Well when I went to check on her this morning before leaving for work she was laying down with Bullet. There was nothing out of the ordinary so I proceeded to come to work. I did not want to bother them as they looked as though they were very comfortable as could be for being as pregnant as they are. So this morning I had no clue if she was able to lift it above her back.

Is that a sign of close labor?