The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My doe is due to kid any day now. In the middle of April I started giving her grain. I read that I should start a month before her kidding date to get her use to the milking stand and being handled. Anyways. She has gotten a pound of grain every night for almost 2 months (her first possible due date was 5/18) She has only ever had one kid. Well she looks bigger that a house and I'm entertaining the possibility of triplets with how big she is. I have read a bunch on here about the newbie mistake of overfeeding. Do you think I have? I'm afraid the kid(s) are going to be to big for her to deliver. Is there anything I can do to reverse this? Should I stop giving her grain?

Here's a pic of her this was taken over a week ago

Attachments

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
I would not make any huge changes at this point, you can cut grain very slightly but not a lot..Just be there in case she needs your help....keep Propolyn Glycol...and a calcium drenth handy in case she needs it...keep her active in the mean time...she is a cute girl

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
She doesn't look overweight so you have probably been feeding her the right amount. I agree with Happybleats and to not make any BIG changes. Things will probably be fine but try to be there just in case. :D

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would not cut it out totaly, yep maybe cut it back, but she looks sweet as ever. Now if she has more then one that is what you want, that way one is not so big. Twins or triplets, they are going to be smaller.

I would make sure you have LOTS of OB lube and gloves just incase you have to hep with the delivery. The biggest mistake people so with helping in the delivery is not using enough lube. If you think you have enough put twice as much. (Words from a great vet).

Your hand should go in very easy and no friction t slow it down, that is what tears the doe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We feed a little bit of feed to our does day and night. They always have a free choice option. Throw some alfalfa pellets in there. It will make them milk more. It does not matter if they are tame or not during labor. We have had crazy does that we haven't touched before. They don't care who you are. All they know is that they want the kid outa there!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Is your doe preggo also?
Yep. I was expecting kids in April, but nothing. Posted pics here around 5/17 I think, I got a resounding "yes" she's pregnant. Sunday my herd gets tested for CAE and a pregnancy test comes with it. She has to be getting close.... I'm certain she is, but not so certain about her sister. She's getting bigger too though. Your doe is a little smaller then mine, but she puffs out like that too:)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I actually grain early in pregnancy then stop mid-way through, giving just the slightest of handfuls with some minerals and supplements from about 2 months until delivery. My first time around i increased grain at the end and had mammoth singles that were just huge. I had to pull one (malpositioned and big) and do some repositioning to get huge shoulders through on another, but it wasn't too bad and moms and babies made it through ok with ill effects at all, but I won;t increase grain at the end anymore. since i started cutting grain but increasing supplements and minerals for the last few months the babies have been smaller but more alert and active at birth.

I am sure she will be fine but i would keep a close eye on her and try to be there when she delivers just in case she has a big single. Chances are she is just wide because there are several in there, lol.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what should I do for my other doe that is due from 6/23-7/14? She's a FF. I just got her less than a week ago. She's a pure Alpine and not underweight like Jaz was when I got her. Should I not even start her on grain? What type of minerals and supplements? How much and how often? Thanks

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
since she is due fairly soon and in good condition I wouldnt change her feeding either...If you feel she is loosing condition adding grain in small amounts wont hurt...1/2 cup at a time..after a week add another 1/2 cup...and so forth...slow is the key
for minerals...choose a dark loose mineral...if you can find it for goats, even better but onyx cow loose minerals is a good choice..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
since she is due fairly soon and in good condition I wouldnt change her feeding either...If you feel she is loosing condition adding grain in small amounts wont hurt...1/2 cup at a time..after a week add another 1/2 cup...and so forth...slow is the key
for minerals...choose a dark loose mineral...if you can find it for goats, even better but onyx cow loose minerals is a good choice..
happybleats said it for me, lol. i use a mineral called sweetlix milkmaker I think... i add in a few things specific for the doe (one tends to develop iodine deficiencies, the other always needs copper, etc) and a bit of molasses to make it stick to the tiny bit of feed and encourage the doe to eat it if she isn't a robust eater (not a problem i usually have my does, lol). otherwise I just put out the mineral and let her nibble it as she likes.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If she only ever singles you could have a problem with that much grain actually.

I have a itty bitty doe that is about 110 pounds +/- and she only ever singles. Well this year I thought she had twins in there. Nope, just a HUGE buckling. She NEVER gets grain when pregnant because of this.
He was so big we almost couldnt get him out. I had to get my brother to pull him out, I couldn't do it. It took over 5 minutes to pull him. He was stuck at the nose!
When we weighed him he was 14lbs. That is HUGE for an alpine baby. He was more than half her height by 6 weeks old, and he was about 35lbs by then.

There is nothing you can do at this point, other than cut back on her grain. Cutting back on her grain won't hurt her, just increasing too fast will.

This year I am giving her some ovulation hormones to stop this giant buckling nonsense. She's done this to me 3 times!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If she only ever singles you could have a problem with that much grain actually.

I have a itty bitty doe that is about 110 pounds +/- and she only ever singles. Well this year I thought she had twins in there. Nope, just a HUGE buckling. She NEVER gets grain when pregnant because of this.
He was so big we almost couldnt get him out. I had to get my brother to pull him out, I couldn't do it. It took over 5 minutes to pull him. He was stuck at the nose!
When we weighed him he was 14lbs. That is HUGE for an alpine baby.

This story is like when you're pregnant with your first and every woman wants to share her horror stories about her birth experience. This is my first ever kidding and I am scared something is going to go wrong. This story doesn't help with my anxiety :eek:. She might only have one since that's all she's ever had in the past. She is so big now I've quit crossing my fingers and hoping for twins and am now entertaining the thought of triplets.

And something else this is my first time around a pregnant goat so maybe she's not huge she just looks that way to me because I have no experience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought the minerals and backing soda is always out so the goats could get it whenever. I am young raising goats. Only have had for little over a year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Precious, I've been raising goats since February 2013. I always leave the mineral block out. I've seen people mention baking soda. We're not talking the Arm & Hammer stuff I use in my freezer to help with odors right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi. Actually that is all I could find. I purchased the largest box they carry. What kind of mineral block do you use? When we started last February we were only going to have a total of 6 goats. By the end of the year we had 11 does and 6 bucks. This year we currently have 25 goats with 1 or possibly 2 left to kid. After the first few goats we became addicted.

Thank w

·
Registered
718 Posts
Alfafa causes milk fever in ruminents. So if you are feeding her that cut it out. Otherwise she doesnt look too fat just pregnant.
Not sure where this info came from, but I question it's validity. Most of us feed alfalfa to our dairy goats. Mine get only alfalfa during spring/summer/fall. I add some grass hay for volume in the winter, when forage is minimal to nonexistent. For dairy, you need protein levels higher than standard hay provides. Grain helps, but by itself you'd have to feed a lot to get the overall protein level up high enough for good milk production. I'm sure there's a few that dont feed alfalfa (probably more due to cost or availability), but the vast majority with dairy goats do. Only problem I've read about it on here is the potential for urinary issues in wethers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts