The Goat Spot Forum banner

Have raised pygmy goats now I want to switch to meet goats

955 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nancy d 
#1 ·
From what I understand the Boer goat is the best way to go as far as size and meet but what is the best age to butcher? How big do they get? And how much should I weigh? And how much should they sell for? With the bigger goats is there anything I should watch out for? And most important with the bigger goats what is the easiest way to worm them
? I already had a bad year with worms due to the wetness of the area... Any info is helpful .... And if there's any for crosses I should stay away from please tell me I'm not interested in milk.

#3 ·
Really everything depends on if you want to sell goats for the ethnic holidays. Then you revolve your breeding program around that. Then age, weight and everything will depend on what the people are looking for.

Worms are definitely a concern and you would probably want to learn how to do your own fecals if you don't want to take fecals in to the vet. But you need to learn how to identify the worms so you know what to deworm with.

#4 ·
Most folks like them between 6 & 9 mos old but some prefer older intact bucks & some strictly milk fed.
Find out your local ethnic population & their holidays & go from there. Go to an auction & take notes on prices as well as what is being sold what ages etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.