Have you ever seen this before?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Frozenloc2, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
  2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quadruplet teats... I have never had a goat with extra teats but it does happen..

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Oh man. I wouldn't do a repeat breeding that produced her.
    Are you breeding for Dairy goats? If so, I wouldn't breed her. Just keep her as a pet. Anways, she either has fish teats or had extra teats.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I don't breed for dairy. I bought her when she was 10 weeks old. I guess her babies in the future will have pleny of teats to drink from. I wonder if the little add ons will work.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those are fish teats and they are a disqualification in the show world. THey will not produce milk.

6. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Are you serious about them not being able to nurse their young??????

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I was saying the extra teats will not produce milk. Just the 2, not all 4

You do have to be careful though, sometimes the kids can't nurse off the teats if there is the extra ones in the way.

8. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    This may sound silly, but can you band the extra nipples so they won't be in the way of nursing? I suppose its possible this can be passed on to her kids? It just figures, she's my nicest doe. She's a true pet!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes it is genetic. Her kids could possibly have fishteats too.

is she registered? because if she is you shouldn't breed her and sell the kids as registered.

10. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    She's not registered

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    those aren't fish teats, its just four teats. Fish teats actually spring off of the main teat.

Most of our boers have four teats and actually most of them do work, which is kind of handy sometimes :lol: But the majority of extra teats do not produce milk.

12. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I have a doe that looks just like that so after she kidded, I wanted to know if they were functional or not also and I was able to get milk out of all of them. If she ever has tripletts then at least there will be plenty of spigots. :)

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a doe that was born wit ha fish teat. I had her mother and father for years, and none of them or down the line had it, so I wonder if it is hereditary. The doe I have with it is Diva, and she has kidded twice and none of those does have it. Her fist teat DOES produce milk. I have noticed that the babies like that side better because they get a lot more milk while they nurse.
    Yes I did sell her (waiting for her to wean her baby). Yes we were disqualified in the ring, (I just wanted the judges opinion of her besides the teat). The lady that bought her knows about the teat and she said she is not breeding her, she just want the fiber. (of course she had award winning fiber, but I had to sell her because of the teat).

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    alrighty then, I guess you learn something new every day.

15. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I am not sure if boer does are dis-qualified fot it. I think it is acceptable, but not prefered in the US.
    (I did hear a rumor that it was bred FOR elsewhere, but I don't do boers, so not sure.)
    http://www.appalachianboerbreeders.com/standards.htm

"A doe should have a well-developed udder which is firmly attached, not hanging low with

pendulous teats. Boer goats were developed to produce multiple kids. For this reason South

African producers selectively bred them to have more than the two teats that other goats have in

order to feed triplets and quadruplets. One or more functional teats on each side are acceptable.

A split teat is acceptable if it is not joined for more that 50% of its length."

16. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Ya we had a beauty of a buck with it and had to sell him.Kept his sister and never had any trouble but shes gone now to.
    But there was always the chance.