Have you ever.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by goathappy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    .......had a dog that lived to be 12? Sarge our German Shepherd turns twelve on April 15(tuesday!!) Its hard to believe, seems like just yesterday he was a puppy, he still acts like a puppy of course, he hasnt' slowed down at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!!

2. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    How sweet. Our Golden made it to 15 - she finally just got tired. She was great and she started getting tired around 13 then we got 2 new puppies and she turned back into a big puppy for 2 more years before she lost most of her sight and hearing - but was a doll baby...she had 26 puppies in 2 litters and was an outside dog. She's a part of this farm that will never leave.
    It really does good to my heart to see 12 year old dogs that are taken care of, in good shape and loved as much as your baby...
    He looks wonderful - send him big hugs from KY.

3. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Our old GSD lived to be 13, but past that and she would have begun to suffer, as she contracted sarcoma and had begun to fail.

That said, our current GSD, a 3year old, looks great and I think she will live longer, as she has no signs of hip dysplasia like Lobo did.

4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    He is sure handsome! I would never have guessed that he's 12, he looks good!

I walk a dog three days a week who is 16. Roxie is one of the most active dogs I walk. We take the dogs for an hour off leash on a path in the woods, and she goes sprinting around and is always out front. A few months ago she had a stroke, and was off walking for 2 weeks. They almost put her to sleep, but talk about a fighter, she bounced right back. Her head tilted to one side and she walked into things for a little while and fell over a bit, but now you'd never know!

Here she is last winter on a walk

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221 ... G_0555.jpg

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    awww.... we have a GSD.
    We had a Collie that lived to be 13. Now we have a Collie that is 12.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    our German shepherd/lab Dutch is 12 or 14 years old (when we got him he was 3 or 5 they said) and he is still going strong and is more lively then ever. Last year he learned how to climb the fence ---- hence our new fencing so he will stay in the yard! Crazy old dog - who says you can't teach them new tricks!

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm so happy that you've had these 12 wonderful years together.

My Newfoundland is 9, my German Shepherd mix is 11 and one of my Poms is 11. I have actually started crying (I'm such a softie) already when just thinking about losing my friends in the next few years.

We got two new puppies this last year to 'replace' the two older, big dogs. They are our livestock and kitty protection. We've also had a Cougar near here on rare occasions so we want to always have a couple of big dogs around. Since it takes a big dog puppy about two years to mature we figured now was a good time to bring home the puppies. Plus, it does help keep the older dogs younger as they play with the two new pups.

It is so hard to say goodbye to these wonderful furry friends... I'm hoping for a few more years with my older dudes.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    What a handsome guy!! He sure dosen't look 12.

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Hehe, yep my dog's still kickin' at 17!!! We sure are surprised! Your dog is beautiful, I love GSD's.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My dog is 12 now also. He is a real hard headed dog. He was chasing another dog one day and he ran right into a truck with a running board. He hit it so hard that he put a big dent in the running board. We thought he was dead, but he got up and walked home to us. We took him to the vet and several hundred $$ later, he came home, BUT he has brain damage, and the left side of hi head is all sunk in because it was crushed. He is not doings the best because he is starting to have seizers.
    I just wanted to say that if my dog is 12 and has all that going on, your dog a 12 looks great. My sister has raised German Shepard's and she says that 12 - 15 is getting old for them, IF they do not have the hip displasia (sp) thing going on. I think you dog looks great, I would not of guesses he was 12. She looks great.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    We had a Golden Retriever (hubby's dog) that lived to 13. Our Giant Schnauzer lived to be 13. Our Mini Schnauzer, Oscar, is 11. So, we're starting to get a little nervous. But, he's looking good and going strong (except for a little cateracts). Just sired a litter of 8!

[​IMG]

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sarge is a he :wink:

Wow!! Everybody has pretty old dogs :) Glad to here everybody's is still pushin' on :)

Thanks for the compliments, he's the king of the house :D

13. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    :party: Happy birthday Sarge :birthday:

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    lol thanks, I'll give him a hug and a kiss for y'all :)

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He doesn't look his age at all! Handsome boy too! I have a 13 year 8 month old cocker spaniel and at times his body shows his age...the way he moves. The oldest dog I ever had was a pekingnese/ pomeranian mix I got when I was 9 years old....We had him for 20years. My mom had a retired police GSD that was 17 when she decided to go. They live such long happy lives when they know they are well loved!

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Here's my 17 year old mutt, Yoda!

[​IMG]

We've had him since I was a year old. :wink:

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    WOW! He looks really good for 17 :)

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks! That's actually what the vet said too!