Have you ever..?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Amos, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
  2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, although our Boer goat registry doesnt accept black animals, whether they are solid black or black headed. Here, he would be sold as a Black Kalahari, probably unregistered.

He does have a nice head, but the rest of the body leaves much to be desired.

A friend of mine had a good crossbred black buck for a while, he took two black wethers sired by this buck to a local carcase competition and cleaned up - they were something special those wethers.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes... they do have solid black registered boers ...I have seen some real nice ones....but I am not ready to have them in my herd just yet..... :shades: :)

I disagree... that all solid black boers are aggressive......just like anything else....you get some occasionally.... to not at all....

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I saw one similiar on our craigslist. I love how she says "aggressive breed" and then says her has a "great attitude"

:roll:

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I actually think that is a bit of a typo.

I think the owner may have meant that he is a buck with a high libido, gets em all in kid and has good kids, so a proven breeder. Looking at his eye, he doesnt look like a very agressive buck to me, he has very soft eyes.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have one black headed percentage doe and we get a near solid black buck out of her every year, nobody ever wants him though :roll: This year she finally gave us a black doe kid. I'm not really sure how dominant the black gene is, but we have percentages not fullbloods so we get all kinds of things :)

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yes, I actually really like the colored boers and they go for high around here. My doe is bred to a black anf whit paint fullblood.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i think black looks great on boers. but they wouldnt last in africa because it gets too hot for their coat coloring.

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone; I don't know anything about Boers, obviously, so thanks for filling me in.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my friend had one.. he was so friendly..

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Keren .......I believe you are right....now that you pointed that out .... LOL.... :)

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thumbs up to keren. :thumb:

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Now I have a black and white buckling!!! (He's gonna be a weather though)

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SOLID black mean ALL black with no or minimal other coloring? This animal seems to have a lot of other color along his side. This would not be solid black to me.

15. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    That's just his undercoat.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    crocee, that is the cashmere undercoat that comes in winter, and dilutes the normal colour of the goat. Once he slicks off in summer he will be nice and smooth and black again.

The same happens with solid red boers - check out this link for a number of photos showing winter vs summer coat

http://kalaharigoats.com/

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Than you for the explanation. The more I learn, the more I am confused.