The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m at my wits end with this gal ! Her sister and “adoptive sister” have already warm up her sister being the most friendly. She’ll scream when you pick her up, and despite my efforts she just isnt get anymore friendlier! she doesn’t like treats either 🤔 tips/recommendations?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
730 Posts
All I can say is all goats are different. But you already know that considering the number of goats you have. When I started I got 3 San Clemente Island doelings from a large "wild" herd. It took about 4 months before one would willingly let me scratch her. It was 2 years when the third one suddenly decided that getting a good scratch was a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i like the passive method. i go out of my way to be out of their way, putting the least amount of spacial pressure on them. after some time, they treat me as a non-entity because i never approach them, crowd them or grab at them (if at all possible). i become a fixture for an hour a day, feeding and cleaning. and i sit for a Long time. eventually the goat become curious and sniffs. im a statue. the goat nibbles, bites and tests me with its horns. then i start sneaking in the scratches. just enough pressure not to scare them away. shortly im petting all over them.

granted there's a difference between the anti-social goat and a goat that is truly fight-or-fight fearful. once that flight instinct kicks in, the goat is only trying to flee and they will not be receptive to learning. just take it slow and dont give up!

·
Administrator
85,753 Posts
You can tie up the goat, use a dog collar so they don’t choke and pet the goat, especially in between the horns, the head/neck, in between the horns wins the heart of many goats and try to give treats.

Do note: If it is a buck kid, it is fine to do this to break through the trust issues, but after he has calmed down and is tame enough, no more between the horn scratching there after.

At first the goat may not accept any treats, so don’t worry about that.

Talk softly, do this for no more than 15 minutes then let the goat go.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Ok. When I deal with any animal that doesnt trust and has a wild streak or been treated poorly, i try not force myself on them. Yes there have to be health checks, so I make sure the animal has a small stall, a place to hide and I sit at a fairly safe distance. No other distractions. I talk in a normal level and tone so that the animal is not surprised. I put food in different places so that they know I am not there to eat their food but to provide. I read to them and eventually while reading I find that they do approach enough for me to touch.
It takes time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Usually they catch on when they see others are okay with you but some don't work that way.
I try using a small pen, a pan of food and allow a lot of time...but they don't get to eat unless I stand there. Then I start moving a bit while they are eating.
Eventually I offer a bit of food or piece of bread. But one snatch and grab and you have to start over.
I have also staked them out on a short lead where they cannot run off. Eventually they get it into their head that I am the source of all food and attention.
I have one this year who uses me as an excuse to get everyone running. She's only difficult when others are with her. It's a game to her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts