having a worm issue, more like an epidemic

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, having a major worm problem, Goats are loosing weight then getting anemic and then dieing. We discovered that it is the blood suckers

"Haemonchus contortus (ie. blood sucking worm found in the abomasum or fourth compartment of the ruminant stomach)"

I have lost a couple babies and a couple older goats :cry: :cry: :cry: I have wormed the bucks with Valbazen and wormed the goats with Morantel Tartrate. But they dont seem to be better. Not everyone looks yucky just some of them. My herd is closed, no one goes out and no one comes in Gotta get this under control before more goats die. I know what goat I brought in that started the whole thing.... GRRRR. But what is happening is they start getting a little skinney, I worm them, and since they are blood suckers, when the worms die they detach from the intestines and then cause anemia and they cant come back up from it. Everyone here in calaveras that I have talked to is having problems, even the animal control officer I know lost two of her bucks due to this worm problem. I think because it rains then stops and gets warm in the 80's. Ok so I am wanting to worm everyone for 3 days straight then wait 7 days worm again, wait 7 days and then worm again. then move it to once a month for 6 months and then depending on fecals we will go to every 6 weeks or so. What wormers work good, I dont want to mess around with stuff that might have resistance. I see Pancur is good, I beleive Safegueard is no good.

http://www.durvet.com/prods/GOAT_506/DetailSheet.html
    http://www.durvet.com/prods/RUMATEL_163 ... Sheet.html

Are any of these good?? I have 35 goats that need to be wormed, as much as I would LOVE to say that money is not an issue it is of course and I want something that isent horribly expensive. Please help guys.

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    sorry, I'm not familiar with this worm or these wormers. But I believe Panacur and Safeguard are the same wormer...
    When I've had two miniature horses that repeatedly colic, I had a vet years ago tell me that they have a build up of worms and usual wormer doesn't take care of it. We then worm 5 days straight with DOUBLE dose Pancur (or Safeguard) and it's pulled them through the colic both times. I think I would try something like that if they were my goats. There is a liquid safeguard for goats that would be easier to be accurate in your measurements that the paste wormer.
    Hope that helps. Not good losing goats to any cause, but especialy worms.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Safeguard and panacur are the same.

I would go with something like Ivermectin plus if possible. At least in not pregnant animals, since I am not sure of the safety of ivomec plus in pregnant animals.

This is also called the barber pole warm.

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Safeguard isn't going to help with these worms, about the only thing it does work on anymore is tapeworms.

I haven't heard of either of those wormers, but I know Dectomax is a good wormer, you can NOT use it on pregnant does.

Ivomec and Ivomec Plus are both good wormers and you can use both of them on pregnant does (like RunAround stated the Ivomec won't work against the Barberpole worm). Follow up with another dose 10 days after the first. Be sure that if you have a worm overload that you give it by injection so that it works at a slower and longer rate, because if you give it orally and they all detach at one time it will cause the goat to bleed out internally causing the anemia and death.

No matter what wormer you use it is better not to use one in the first 21 days of pregnancy, but once you are past the first 21 days you should be fine with the ones that are safe during pregnancy.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Plain ivermectin isn't going to kill the barber pole worm. It's the Clorsulon in the plus that kills the barber pole worm.

There is a cheap generic ivomec plus on jeffers called: Noromectin Plus Injection. I have been using that on my goats without any problems.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i agree ivomec plus

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I also read a study done by a Scandinavian university on the effect of bolusing copper wires -it seems it is very effective with stomach worms in some stages. They tested bolusing the wire versus copper sulfate.
    http://www.actavetscand.com/content/45/3/149

It was the most thorough thing I've seen and made me decide to try bolusing rather than feeding copper.

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well the weird part about that copper thing is ever since I have copper bolused it seems that once the copper has worn off they look like crap (excuse my language) but they end up looking super bad. So my plan is, I am going to copper boluse everyone and then give everyone a shot of ivermectin plus injectable. Ok so since I have never done it as an injection how does that work? I know normal wormers is worm them then 7-10 days later do it again, but since you do it as a shot it goes into the body much slower and would you have to do it again in 10 days??

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes the copper bolusing is much more effective imo. I use the coppasure stuff. My friend copper boluses her goats a lot... like a couple she did every month for three months until they started looking better.

No idea on the injection, but I believe it really stings, just a warning if they start jumping around after you give it to them.

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    You can give the injectable wormer orally.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would also be giving them some sort of blood builder, like Red Cell, if you aren't already. :wink:

12. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    You shouldent give the injectale orally, because it will run through the intestines in 24 hours and kill soo much soo fast that it can kill your goat. It is supposed to be given by injection so it kills a little at a time and lasts alot longer.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my firend has given ivomectin 1% orally without any issues. she doses 1 cc per 40 lbs

14. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you sixshooter. Even Fias Co Farm recommends giving the injectable as an oral wormer at the rate of 1ml per 50 lbs. I have seen goats given a much stronger does of the injectable ivomec than that and have never seen there be any complications. A goat's metabolism is so much faster than a cows so I don't see how the injectable would work the same way as in a cow if injected by staying in the system longer.

15. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    no no, I agree with you guys giving it normaly as an oral, I have done it for years without prolems as well. I am saying if you know your goats are infested with this kind of worm then is is safer to give it to them as a shot. Cause when you do it orally a big dose goes straight to the worms and kills everything at the same time, which can cause anemia even internal bleeding. I say give it as a shot if you know your goat is super wormey is all :greengrin:

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    If it was me I'd be hitting them with Cydectin cattle pour on given orally at 1 cc per 22 pounds. Ivermectin is okay, but Cydectin is way better. I'd follow up with panacur, because Cydectin doesn't get tapes.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I personally would NOT use Cydectin on these sick goats. A long time goat breeder friend of mine said that goats should not be sickly at all if you want to use cydectin, he said it would kill them. I don't have a recomendation for a chemical wormer though, I really don't like any of them :GAAH:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Goats with worms are anemic -- you need to build them up once they are wormed (you do this after worming). A good dose of Red Cell or Iron injectable (labled for pigs) is important following the worm rutine. If you don't do this they will stay anemic and be succeptable to worms and get reinfested right away.

Also if they are lacking in copper they will circum to worms faster.

20. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Said it would kill them? Ummm, I must say that's rather interesting.