Having Trouble with My Pregnant Doe

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Camryn, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    This is my first time with a kidding doe, so I've been doing a lot of research. Reading, diagrams, pictures, and they've all been very helpful. But I'm very new at this and I'm just having trouble reading my doe's signs! She really should be kidding any day. Her tail is very loose at the base; I could comfortably get my fingers underneath and almost around. She's not really acting like herself, and she has paced and pawed a little bit. I got up numerous times through the night, and her vulva seemed 'puffy,' but there has been no discharge. This morning it looked pretty normal. She's also hollow on both sides.

Am I missing something? Could it be a false labor, or is it normal to show certain signs and not others?

Your advice is much appreciated right now! Thank you!

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Sounds normal to me, do you have a due date?

3. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    All sounds normal. Not unusual for a doe to go over her date by 4 or more days :) No sleep for you.

4. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    Yeah, she's overdue by a few days. She was due around the 5th. I was kind of worried about that, but the babies have moved and I've been able to feel them up until yesterday. So it is normal for there to be no discharge? I'm planning on sticking close, but does it sound like she could have them soon?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How do you know she was due on the 5th?

6. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    Well I'm glad to hear that's normal! It's funny; I'm more nervous than she is. I'll keep people updated- hopefully I'll be posting pictures of some newborns in the near future!
    Thank you!

7. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    It was a near estimate- I took her to see a buck; I was told she came into heat on a Tuesday night and was out the next morning. I've read that they often have them between 149 and 151? Is that correct?

8. ksalvagno

How long did she stay there?

9. kristimriggs

kristimriggs New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Kentucky
    I understand completely!!! I was in the same spot as you up until this past Friday! My doe had the puffy vulva for about a week, been pawing the ground for a few weeks, and seemed restless for a few days. She never had any white discharge that I seen. The nite before she kidded, she had amber discharge streaming. I came home Friday afternoon and she was very vocal and really restless. And sure enough she kidded a few hours later. I know it's hard to hear everyone say be patient cause I hated it! But it really is true! That was my 1st kidding ever and I didn't really know what to look for except for what I had read about. The main sign that I had was the amber colored discharge. When you see that, it will be soon!!! Good Luck!!

10. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    About three weeks. She stayed through two cycles, but we didn't think she took the first time. She did the second time though, which is the week I counted back to.

11. ksalvagno

Ok. So she may not even be overdue yet. Usually best to use the last day she was in with the buck if she is with him for an extended period of time. Good luck!

12. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it very hard to be patient!:D Every good article I read said you should see white discharge, even up to more then a week before the kidding! I guess I just assumed that always occurred. I guess when it's her time it'll all play out. Thank you for sharing that! Hopefully it all goes well.

13. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    Ok, good to know! I'll just continue to keep a close eye on her, and hopefully learn from the experience:D

14. kristimriggs

kristimriggs New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Kentucky
    I also read tons of articles about pregnant does, kidding, etc!! And they all said that about the white discharge. If June had any it wasn't very much or she rubbed it off before I ever got to see it (cause she was constantly rubbing her sides & back end on everything!). Good luck, hope it happens soon!!!!
    :stars:

15. Camryn

Camryn New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Northern Ohio
    That too! Lulu has been constantly rubbing her sides and back end on the stall walls. She doesn't usually do that...I hadn't thought of that! Thanks! I do too; sleep has been scarce the past few nights::p: