hawk attacked my hen!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by cdtrum, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I caught a hawk attacking one of my hens yesterday, I scared him off.......she is ok, thank goodness I walked out there when I did or the outcome would have been different........is there anything I can do to deterr the hawk?.......I have never had this happen before......my hens free range in their yard during the day. My rooster and hens are scared to go outside of their barn today......which may be a good thing for now. The hawk did get one of my neighbors hens this morning.
    Thanks, Denise

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    If your chickens free range there is very little that can be done to protect them from hawks. A couple possibilities to try:

1) Have larger animals around - like dogs, horses, goats, etc. Hawks are less likely to go for chickens if larger animals are moving around with them.
    2) Hang old CD's around (this works very well in a chicken run - probably not as well for free rangers) on fish line ... their movement and sun reflection can confuse the hawks.
    3) Place a couple of those plastic owls here and there.

Good luck.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Cinder.....I did just go out and hung some shiny pie pans......cd's, good idea and I wondered about plastic owls :thumb: .

Goats are in the yard next to the chickens, but do not run with them.......it was so hot here yesterday that the goats stayed in the barn under the fans until evening.

Jason......believe me shotgun is loaded and by the back door :thumb: ! Hubby has been on hawk watch all day :greengrin: !

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I just realized I posted in the wrong place :doh: !

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats ok...all fixed! :hug:

You say they are in a chicken yard? You can use that cheap orange plastic snowfence to cover the top.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    great advice.....everyone........ :wink: :greengrin: Hope it works.. to detour that hawk... :hug: