Hawk took out my only rooster

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by MidnightRavenFarm, Jan 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM.

1. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Sorry about your rooster! We had our first hawk attack (that I know of) a few days ago and despite an over abundance of roosters, the hawk got my last copper Maran hen. This is a couple weeks after a coyote killed my lavender Orpington. I have 50+ chickens and am not really personally attached to each and every one like I am my larger livestock, but those two were favorites (especially the Orpington) so it just figures that those are the ones a predator would take! There were at least 6 roosters out there with them and obviously every one of them was completely useless!

MidnightRavenFarm likes this.
  2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    And I would never say if that happened, just that I’m debating jail time ;) But we had a lot of hawks move in this year so no more free ranging until the squirrel population picks back up.

MidnightRavenFarm likes this.

3. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Oh wow! So sorry! We have a lot of hawks around here but no chickens anymore. But we have a tiny little chihuahua that could get taken. A couple years ago our neighbor lost a new puppy to a hawk. Raccoons got the last chickens about 2 years ago. But what we have to looks out for are coyotes. They try to get anything they can, dogs, cats, goats, you name it! I hate the things.

4. JML Farms

JML Farms Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Yea, they've even killed our large muskovy ducks before. Crows are kinda their natural enemy....they will chase them away and make all kinds of noise when they see one. If there was some way to keep crows around, maybe they could help keep the hawk at bay. But, the crows can be a problem too.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Just had a chicken hawk or a red tail go after my leg horn. He was able to fight him off and I scared him. Not fun, second attack in Georgia.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh thkse darned preditors..... why cant they just be vegetarian. I wont mind losing a pumpkin or 2