Hay/Alfalfa

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dian_na, Jan 31, 2015.

1. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    I have a Saanen Doe that kidded 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure of protein she is getting, she does graze field all day and hay is offered. I give her about 2 cups mixed sweat feed and sunflower seeds a day. I can't make her eat the hay and was wondering about alfalfa pellets, how much to feed of it, does it do as well as the loose cut as I will have to buy it from feed store there is none locally to be had. Should I be concerned about this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Alfalfa pellets are a good source of calcium and protein, and there's less waste involved. It can be used instead of alfalfa hay. Start with a cup or two, then work up until she's getting 5-6 cups. Some even leave it out free choice.

If you're worried about protein get her a pelleted dairy grain with 16% protein content. That would be more nutritious than sweet feed alone. And two cups isn't much grain for a freshly kidded doe, how is her body condition?

As for the hay, what's in it and how's the quality? She may just be full from grazing, but it's possible she's not fond of the hay you're offering.

3. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    I updated with a picture. I think she looks to be pretty good. I left the kid on her during the day separating them at night. The milk Ms Trixie in the morning before putting kid back on her. for the day. It looks and smells like good hay but I ain't the one eating it. Pellets sure sound easier, I just didn't want her to bloat if she got too much. I worry about worming too, I seen lice on the kid. I had no idea goats had lice. What do I use a flee collar?

Attached Files:

4. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    She looks a tad thin for my liking, and scruffy from the parasites. I recommend using ivomec plus injectable, it will take care of both internal and external parasites. She and the kid can also be dusted, but with what I can't remember the name! It wouldn't hurt to worm the kid too...

Does she have loose minerals? They're important for her overall health. Check her lower eyelids and make sure they're a nice pink color, if not she's anemic and will need red cell along with the wormer. I would definitely add the alfalfa pellets and a dairy goat grain, maybe 2lbs+? Just add new feeds slowly..

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I agree with CanyonTrail.At least 2 pounds of a dairy pellet and alfalfa pellets. Being a Saanen, she should be pouring out the milk and will need extra protein and energy to keep that milk flowing.

Oh, yeah, goats get lice and mites. Nasty little critters. Ivermectin injectable will kill them. Sevin dust, equine lice powder, stuff like that will get them also. You will need to clean out the pen and dust the area to kill those that have fallen off. External parasites can drag a kid down quickly, as can internal parasites.

6. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    I've o nly had her a week tomorrow. My pen is clean, nothing been in there in several years, I did put fresh bedding in and will need to clean it out which I would do anyway. The lady that had her gave her does b-12 shots and iron do you all do that?

7. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    B complex is great for stressed or ill goats, so have some of that on hand. Iron is given to anemic goats (check eyelids), but I recommend using red cell instead. Iron shots can cause allergic reactions.

For now you should 1) worm/dust them plus house and check for anemia. 2) buy the new feed and slowly increase it to about 2lbs, and 3) add loose minerals to her diet if she doesn't have them already.

Start by mixing her sweet feed with some pellets until its eventually 50/50, then start replacing it with the new grain. Or feed her a mix of the two, but don't increase the sweet feed amount just add on the pellets.

8. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    worming

this is her face up close kinda distorted because of angle. Think she can wait until tuesday? I dont wanna find a dead goat, she seems ok

Attached Files:

• MsT.jpg
      MsT.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
  9. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Get the feed and wormers as soon as you can, she'll probably be ok until Tuesday. Gently pull her bottom lid down and look at the color to determine if she's anemic. Make sure the minerals you get are loose and have at least 1700ppm copper (goats need a lot of copper to repel parasites).

So no she doesn't look awful, but is definitely thin. Once she's wormed and taken care of I bet you'll notice a difference in her appearance :) . And don't forget about her kid! Any pics of the little one?

10. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Oh, do you have essential oils? You can mix tea tree and lavender oil with olive oil and massage it through the fur to repel lice. Or pour it down their backs like a pour-on med. Messy but effective until you get the powder.

Apple cider vinegar in the water(preferably raw) will help keep worms at bay and improve her condition. You can also feed garlic, raw cloves in a drench or crushed pills on her grain..

If you can do some of this, it will give you a head start on her treatment until you can get the supplies on tues. Add b complex and probios to you list, they're good to have on hand.

EDIT* I just read that milk does should be getting 6-9lbs of grain a day! So start upping her sweet feed, then add the dairy grain and work it up from there. I fed 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets a day to my milker.

11. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo

Just took this one today.

Attached Files:

12. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    ty, I think she is, thats mah Heidi. She was running around and butted Rosco, Rosco was like , "oh no she didn't!" lol this is new to him too.
    I'm going to try to at least get her wormed, funding is an issue until tuesday. But if she is wormed at least she will be warm its going to get very cold here this coming week. I'm in Missouri we been use to this warm weather as of late and next week well winter is back. lol Also why I tried her coat on her.

13. canyontrailgoats

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Lol too funny! :D I *think* you can use ivermectin on kids, but maybe not so I'll see what others say about that. How old is she? You'll need to weigh her before worming. And if she ever seems to stop growing or has diarrhea, look into cocci treatment.