The Goat Spot Forum banner

Hay and Grain Feeders

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  janeen128 
#1 ·
Anyone willing to share what they use to feed hay that does not let the goats waste so much and also grain troughs that the goats cannot jump into

Also need to make a creeper feeder as well.

Any and all ideas and PICTURES please!!

#11 ·
I call these fence feeders as they kinda resemble a 3 rail horse fence from the inside of the pen. Super easy access from the outside to feed. This style of feed I find works best because they have to put their heads in to eat and there is enough room for them to move or get pushed aside.

Attachments

#12 ·
I call these fence feeders as they kinda resemble a 3 rail horse fence from the inside of the pen. Super easy access from the outside to feed. This style of feed I find works best because they have to put their heads in to eat and there is enough room for them to move or get pushed aside.
Did you build that? I can see something like that working here on a little smaller scale:) By the way beautiful animals. Alpine and Alpine crosses?

#13 ·
Husband built this for me two days ago, seems to be working pretty good. It is a plastic barrel cut down the middle then the frame up, can get two bales in it. Little munch mouths, they have three acres of great lush pasture still to eat, but the hay is so much tastier, at least this time of day. You can see the two Guernsey girls are as round as the barrel, standing there watching the adults eat.

Attachments

#16 ·
Yep, I build all the stuff here on the farm :) All those years of trade work paid off lol. All but the one Togg in the pictures are alpines. Any crosses we end up having are always sent to dairies.

After we get the fall mucking and winter prep done, figured Id take a video of the entire farm and post it. Id like to do it now but things are still a mess :)

#17 ·
Cool!! I'd like to see it. I have a guy from church interested in building on to my barn next spring. Perhaps I can get some ideas.... I really do need more space... As it is now when one is close to kidding, all the boys will be in a tarp covered pen here up front...for a week or so, then they will be separated at night from mom, so they can be in the "kids" pen, then everyone else can resume their pen assignments. So yeah I need more room:)

#18 ·
I know it looks kinda hilly billy, but you can get a great free temp shelter. It will take some looking but you seem to be good at that, contact ag places. Places that do seeds and fertilizers and see if they have any cracked (or holes) poly tanks stored somewhere. Most places just break em up and throw them away. But if you could get a 1000 gallon poly tank, cut a hole out for a door and then some holes or most of the bottom out of it, done. Ready made shelter. They all also have a screw on top and its easy to set that up for venting so no pee smell.

#19 ·
I know it looks kinda hilly billy, but you can get a great free temp shelter. It will take some looking but you seem to be good at that, contact ag places. Places that do seeds and fertilizers and see if they have any cracked (or holes) poly tanks stored somewhere. Most places just break em up and throw them away. But if you could get a 1000 gallon poly tank, cut a hole out for a door and then some holes or most of the bottom out of it, done. Ready made shelter. They all also have a screw on top and its easy to set that up for venting so no pee smell.
Great idea:) I'll look into that. Thanks TGD-farms!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.