The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, How high is the chance for a goat to get polio from eating moldy hay? We have mostly round bales, Its kept under a barn since its been baled, but I still wonder about mold. One of my vets doesnt really beilive that goats get polio from mold, I dont know

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would tend to think that anything that disrupts the rumen and amkes a change in the bacteria in the gut might cause goat polio if the bacteria that make it in the gut are killed by whatever.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mold can also cause respiratory issues in horses so I assume the same can be said of goats. I have always heard the symptoms of listerosis and polio are very similiar except listerosis will cause a high fever.

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK... bear with me please. I'm pretty new to this goat thing so I tend to be a little paranoid. How exactly can one tell moldy hay from the good stuff? When I purchased the hay I have, I quizzed the grower re: mold issues and was assured the hay was A-100. That said, I'm not sure what I would look for in the way of determining if mold is present. Both the grower and I store the hay indoors. Is that any kind of guarantee? Moldy bread, I can recognize. Moldy hay.. not so much.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Smell of the hay make sure it doesn't have a moldy smell.Pull some hay of of the center of the bale shake it sometimes there will be white mold spores that you can see.Some hay has black mold which you should be able to see. Hay that has gotten wet and moldy will be heavier and kind of hard. So look for bales that are soft,light and smell good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts