Hay and Polio

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DW Farms, Dec 1, 2007.

1. DW Farms

DW Farms New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I was wondering, How high is the chance for a goat to get polio from eating moldy hay? We have mostly round bales, Its kept under a barn since its been baled, but I still wonder about mold. One of my vets doesnt really beilive that goats get polio from mold, I dont know

Thanks
    Adam

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe it is listerious that they get from moldy hay. Symptoms are very much the same as polio though but treatment is with penicilian not thiamine

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes, goats get polio from moldy hay, listeriosis is caused mostly by the bacteria formed during silage making.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh see I guess I don't know as much as I thought i knew. :doh:

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I would tend to think that anything that disrupts the rumen and amkes a change in the bacteria in the gut might cause goat polio if the bacteria that make it in the gut are killed by whatever.

6. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    mold can also cause respiratory issues in horses so I assume the same can be said of goats. I have always heard the symptoms of listerosis and polio are very similiar except listerosis will cause a high fever.

7. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    OK... bear with me please. I'm pretty new to this goat thing so I tend to be a little paranoid. How exactly can one tell moldy hay from the good stuff? When I purchased the hay I have, I quizzed the grower re: mold issues and was assured the hay was A-100. That said, I'm not sure what I would look for in the way of determining if mold is present. Both the grower and I store the hay indoors. Is that any kind of guarantee? Moldy bread, I can recognize. Moldy hay.. not so much.

8. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Smell of the hay make sure it doesn't have a moldy smell.Pull some hay of of the center of the bale shake it sometimes there will be white mold spores that you can see.Some hay has black mold which you should be able to see. Hay that has gotten wet and moldy will be heavier and kind of hard. So look for bales that are soft,light and smell good.

9. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks... really appreciated. Although I must say it has been several years since I encountered a bale I considered 'light'.

10. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Here's a helpful article on Polio and Listeriosis...

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... iosis.html

When in doubt, treat your animal for BOTH illnesses, because they do present very similarly.

Polio usually effects young stock though, and Listeriosis usually effects adults; although exceptions can occur.

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    you can't always see the mold but you sure can smell it. i alsways pull some from the middle & smell it.