The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have directions on how to make a hay bag from like a grain /feed bag?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find anything... I'd if my phone is messed up or what....

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
We just cut the bag to a manageable size, added loops to the top to hang and cut a reasonable hole in the front for the hay to come out of.
Do you happen to have pictures Amy? I read this earlier, and I was going to get some hay nets, but then soon realized my clan (especially my boys) would likely get hurt. So reading your post I visioned my big feed bags, cutting to size, cutting two holes toward the bottom, cutting holes up top for handles, duct taping the feed holes and handles (more for stability) got the hooks for the barn, and there is my money saving hay feeder. Now if only I can come up with a mineral/baking soda feeder, hmm maybe nailing margarine cups to the wall of the barn?? Oops, sorry for rambling out loud:)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I use the woven plastic feed bags as hay feeders too. I simply cut 2 holes big enough for noses about 8 inches from the bottom and staple the back sides of the sack to a wall, leaves enough space to place a flake of hay snuggly into it. I secure them high enough to keep the goats from pulling hay from the top of the sack.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I snapped a quick pic tonight at feeding time. I didn't reinforce anything except the loops that hold it on. I sewed the bottom seam because someone picked at it and ripped out the original seam. The hole in the front is just cut, no reinforcing and they haven't messed it up....yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time but the whole thing took a few minutes and the bag was relatively free.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Thanks Amy:) I will get started tonight, as I have 5 to make:) I'm not feeding hay quite yet, as it's been nice and they have plenty of browse still.... but fall is in the air so I need to get ready:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
We've had some cold nights and almost got a frost 2 nights ago. Fall is definitely gonna hit here soon. I hope you have a bit more time of browse ahead of you. :)
Typically we don't get frost until October, but but when the rain hits they like to all gather in the barn, and I feed hay then.... Who knows what weather pattern will hit this year, so I'm getting ready:)

Oh by the way you have a cutie pie in that picture:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Got them all finished:) I guess insomnia has its benefits:) I actually made the mineral feeders from plastic ice cream tubs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Goats seem to like ice cream tubs. I have a 5 gal bucket for water and an ice cream tub for water. They only drink from the ice cream tub. I'm going to find some good metal wire that I can make a basket out of so I can secure the tubs to the wall. This will keep them from being dumped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts