The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses hay bags and can you recommend them?
I am trying to minimize the eating off the floor and considering getting hay bags.
Currently the goats move the hay out of the feeders to get to the bottom to lick the alfalfa leaves first, then they return to the stalks that they have spread all around. They do this, even though I seperate the leaves and put them neatly on one side of the feeder for easy licking.
I am thinking to put the fine stuff in a seperate bin and the stalks in a bag. Will they still be able to pull it all down to the floor?
Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
I use those slow feed hay bags that are made with the thick nylon straps (like a horse halter.) They're pretty stiff so I don't worry about anyone getting caught in them. I hang them about at goat eye level. I use them in my buck pens and my quarantine pen since they're easy to move around and much cheaper than other feeders. Been using them for about 4 years now and they work great for me. As long as the hay isn't super stiff, they don't have a problem getting it out.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use those slow feed hay bags that are made with the thick nylon straps (like a horse halter.) They're pretty stiff so I don't worry about anyone getting caught in them. I hang them about at goat eye level. I use them in my buck pens and my quarantine pen since they're easy to move around and much cheaper than other feeders. Been using them for about 4 years now and they work great for me. As long as the hay isn't super stiff, they don't have a problem getting it out.
Could you post a picture of one?
And, how much do they waste?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have several that look like this but they have two holes instead of one and they are nylon, not leather. I like them for kidding pens, isolation, the buck pen, basically anytime I have just one or a few goats in an area. They're more of a pain in the butt to fill up but they waste less and I like that they're easily portable and storeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several that look like this but they have two holes instead of one and they are nylon, not leather. I like them for kidding pens, isolation, the buck pen, basically anytime I have just one or a few goats in an area. They're more of a pain in the butt to fill up but they waste less and I like that they're easily portable and storeable.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is the one in the quarantine pen. I got it from the Busy Horse website. It's their mini size. The other ones I have are cheaper knockoffs from other horse websites, probably Stateline Tack or Schneider Saddlery, I don't remember. Those ones are larger and have larger holes, but still work the same. I think the larger holes are easier for them. Hay waste is about the same as with any other feeder, and also dependent somewhat on the goat. Usually waste is fairly minimal, but the last buck I had in quarantine made a huge mess with his.

A667475A-3D3D-46E7-AF5B-5BFE8596D3CF.jpeg

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are using the hay bags and are happy with them!
They are called Tough 1 mini.
They hold the percect amount of hay for one mini for one meal. Not too much ends up on the ground.

·
8,168 Posts
Regarding hay bags, that mini horse bag looks fine. But, the ones with one round opening on the side, as they get emptied, goats can put their heads through the top and out that hole and get their heads caught and strangle.

Mesh horse hay bags...... NO!!! Those are goat killers. I lost a doe years ago, she strangled and my daughter found her. Not a good death, I guess she struggled a long time. I still feel awful about that. Poor thing......

Since goats dedicate their lives to trying to find the worst way to die, hay bags used continually are an accident just waiting to happen. (This is just my personal opinion).

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry it isn't working out for you.
Well, it was working out, until I hung one up outside as an additional feeder. I had used them for the kids only.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding hay bags, that mini horse bag looks fine. But, the ones with one round opening on the side, as they get emptied, goats can put their heads through the top and out that hole and get their heads caught and strangle.

Mesh horse hay bags...... NO!!! Those are goat killers. I lost a doe years ago, she strangled and my daughter found her. Not a good death, I guess she struggled a long time. I still feel awful about that. Poor thing......

Since goats dedicate their lives to trying to find the worst way to die, hay bags used continually are an accident just waiting to happen. (This is just my personal opinion).
Thanks for the warning. I am so sorry that happened to you.
On the first day, one stuck her head in the top and showed me the danger. Since then I have hung them in a way they can't do that.
Mine look like the one lada823 posted.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, no matter how careful one is, a goat will find trouble. It's just their nature! :haha::devil:
Yup! One of my little guys discovered that if he stood just so with 2 feet on the railing, he could reach the hayloft. He has been eating from his own restaurant up there, and throwing down stuff for others... I blocked it off tonight and watched him eyeballing that new barrier... Mmmmhh...

·
14,760 Posts
Be very, very careful using hay bags, and especially with horned goats. Unsupervised I feel they are super dangerous. I'd look into other methods. I've seen people put holes in 5 gallon buckets and hang those, someone on Facebook mentioned they bought metal laundry baskets at Walmart and converted them into hay feeders.
I almost wonder if there is a way to make them out of the big plastic barrels?

I've made hay bags to use at the goat shows, and they've worked really well for us. I accidentally donated my original bags or misplaced them because they are gone lol! So I had to make more when we went to State fair.
Mine are made out of canvas, and have small square holes on the front - a LOT of sewing since I had to hand sew everything! I only use those for does not bucks.

Something we did use for bucks at some shows? We had some of those empty Crystalyx Goatlyx tubs, and I had my husband make holes in them so I could hang them, I hung them on the outside of the pen with zip ties, and the open side faced the pen so the bucks had to eat through the bars. I think I have pics somewhere. Anyway, that worked out really well!

As for hay feeders in buck pens. That is a project we need to work on. We have one that my husband made out of scrap pallet, but it's not the best. We have a pallet we used as a hay feeder that was great (had to take down when we made more kidding stalls), so I'm thinking we may use it to construct a better feeder for our boys. They are Boer bucks, and one is notorious with rubbing everything with his horns. I'm thinking a hay feeder they have to reach up to eat from and can't rub on. If I find any ideas like I want to make I'll share.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I only use hay bags (never, ever, ever nets) in kidding stalls and shows or the quarantine pen.

I love my hay feeder. Absolutely minimal (virtually no waste) waste if any. Works for horned or hornless goats, 6" hornless, 8" horned.

Can you tell who the boss is

From the goat side, it's time rebed but this shows that there really is no waste hay on the ground. Our parasite loads have dropped significantly since we put this in 4 years ago.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only use hay bags (never, ever, ever nets) in kidding stalls and shows or the quarantine pen.

I love my hay feeder. Absolutely minimal (virtually no waste) waste if any. Works for horned or hornless goats, 6" hornless, 8" horned.

Can you tell who the boss is

From the goat side, it's time rebed but this shows that there really is no waste hay on the ground. Our parasite loads have dropped significantly since we put this in 4 years ago.

Looks great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts