The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!! I know its been awhile since I've been here :(
But I need some help my doe was eating funny this morning, I looked closer and it looks like a ball of hay stuck in the back of her mouth. When she eats a small amount goes down, but a most of it stays in her mouth. She is alert and doesn't seem to be in distress, but looks super skinny. The vet recommeded washing her mouth out with water, but that didnt help. Do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) I used a syringe with water and mineral oil, but nothing. I pulled as much out as I could reach. Once my husband gets home and he can hold her, I'll find something I can use to pull it out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can you look inside her mouth. I had a wether do this and his teeth needed to be floated. Are you finding any wads of chewed hay on the ground. If she is older she can also be losing a tooth

·
Super Moderator
59,235 Posts
You are just going to have to get your fingers in there and get it out. I would also have the vet check the inside of her mouth very closely.

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
I agree..get her cleaned out then have a vet look at her..this is not a normal thing to happen...I would be concerned her dropping weight..
Use a syringe to prop her mouth open so she dont chomp down on your finger and go get the wad...
How old is she?
any temp?
fecal done lately?
Eye lids bright pink to red?

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Not very old then..some older does have teeth problems that make it hard for them to chew proper..Pink lids are good news...I did have a doe that has a cud stuck in her jaw all the time..I was always having to help her get it out ... But with your doe droping weight I think its more than just a stuck cud...she obviously isnt getting what she needs..hopefully the vet will have a few answers..keep us posted

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
I wanted to add to check for any obstruction in her throat...a tube pushed down her throat will help dislodge anything there...just in case..always be gentle..but it might be necessary..also look for other symptoms of Polio or listeriosis...although not being able to swallow is usally not the first sign, do read on this and be in the know so you can act quickly...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What about using a pair of tongs that you use to flip meat on the grill. Maybe you could get ahold of it with those better and not get bit.

·
I'm watching you
22,353 Posts
Check under her tongue as well. I saw something similar to this once and there a loop of stuff wrapped under the tongue keeping it from being swallowed down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so...got it pulled out :) we just moved them to a new pasture where the grass was deep, somehow she managed get a few jammed between 2 back teeth and it balled up. We used salad tongs lol thank you all so so very much!! Thank you for the warning about the mineral oil. She is happily eating her dinner!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
So glad you got it. Good for you

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Yahooo..love it when its so simple :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts